Landscape audiography - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Major Player

I have to say this thread has opened a door to a new world of learning for me. Suddenly I'm closing my eyes and listening to everything. I'm finding it fascinating how we can tell the size of something, it's position, movement, direction, distance, and even attitude - just by listening. I've heard people say that audio is a huge part of video, and I have always agreed. But never like I do now. I'll keep you updated on my progress - to say thanks :- )
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM   #17
Inner Circle

In 1995, Focal Press published a book I wrote called "Advanced AUdio Production Techniques." I spent the first two chapters on the difference between hearing and listening. You can have the ability to hear, but how (or if) your brain processes the information varies widely among people.

I'm so glad that "the light has come on" for you. This can not be taken for granted, it is a gift. Some folks just CAN'T make enough sense out of what they hear. Other can. It's just the way it is. It can be learned, to some degree, over time. Some will learn more than others. It's really quite fascinating.

In sessions or on location, my clients will ask, "How did you hear that tiny tick (or some other noise) in the middle of all that sound?" I don't know. I just do. I have always been audiocentric. I can't read or write well if the TV is on. It jams my brain.

When I was in my teens and 20s, I could hear around 19 kHz. I can't do that now, but I have learned to "hear" much more deeply into what I'm listening to. I mention this because it's likely that you will experience something similar.

Merry Xmas. You got an unexpected gift.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM   #18
Inner Circle

In 1995, Focal Press published a book I wrote called "Advanced Audio Production Techniques." I spent the first two chapters on the difference between hearing and listening. You can have the ability to hear, but how (or if) your brain processes the information varies widely among people.

I'm so glad that "the light has come on" for you. This can not be taken for granted, it is a gift. Some folks just CAN'T make enough sense out of what they hear. Other can. It's just the way it is. It can be learned, to some degree, over time. Some will learn more than others. It's really quite fascinating.

In sessions or on location, my clients will ask, "How did you hear that tiny tick (or some other noise) in the middle of all that sound?" I don't know. I just do. I have always been audiocentric. I can't read or write well if the radio or TV is on. The audio jams my brain.

When I was in my teens and 20s, I could hear around 19 kHz. That allowed me to hear ultrasonic burglar alarms and other HF sounds. I can't do that now, but over the years I have learned to "hear" much more deeply into what I'm listening to. I mention this because it's likely that you will experience something similar.

The good news is that you have found a gift. The bad news is that you will have increasing difficulty in tolerating bad audio. :)

Merry Xmas. You got an unexpected gift.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM   #19
Major Player

I had a one-shot weekend job a thousand years ago with a bunch of high school friends - stuffing envelopes for a company that one of their parents had started. There were large forests of paper piled on top of tables that each one of us manned individually. About mid way through the weekend mother strolled by and stood watching me work. My station was a mess. Anything I didn't need in my hands was instantly released - and simply fell out of thought. My neck was stiff because I rarely adjusted my view and my right pant leg was covered in hundreds of thumb cleaning glue swipes, just under my pocket.

Although my area was a wreck, I had filled two envelopes to all the other's one.

She finally looked up at me and said just one thing, "You're an artist, aren't you.."

I can't write in front of the TV either, Ty. And I can make just about anything. I just can't walk near it..

So what do you think I'm looking at here, 5 grand worth of gear - to really hear? (already have ME66, and Tascam HD-P2)
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hello Eric,

Contact me off list with what gear you already have and kind of work you want to do.

Is it all production work, location audio, or do you need to be able to hear properly during post as well?

Regards,

Ty Ford
tyreeford@comcast.net
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio