Sennheiser rip off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 21st, 2003, 01:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser rip off?

I just purchased a Sennheiser Mzw 66 pro black foam windscreen but when I tried to put it on, it started shedding. I got lots of tiny black foam hair all over my hand. Is that normal?

Anyone who has this windscreen, could you please tell me if the brand name (Sennheiser) is written on it?

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 02:10 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Well?? Return it.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 08:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Mine does not say Sennheiser on it.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 08:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Matt, was there anything else in the box besides the windscreen? Warranty or other documentation?

I bought mine from an online store, and even though the windcreen came in a Sennheiser box, that was all there was inside the box.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

How much is it shedding? I have this windscreen and when I first got it I noticed it was shedding tiny fibers. I think this is just leftover from the manufacturing process. After a month or two it mostly stopped, but even now, a year later during which time the windscreen has seen a fair amount of use, it will leave a fiber or two in your hand if you handle it roughly. They're sharp too and can irritate your skin. I don't think it affects the performance of the windscreen. I mostly worry that one of the fibers will work its way into the mechanism of my camcorder. Probably best to store it in a baggy or something in your bag. As with yours, my windscreen doesn't say anything on it. I actually don't see how they could attach something like that. I really doubt somebody ripped you off, to tell you the truth. Mine came in a Sennheiser box, and as I recall that was all there was.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Wrangler

Sennheiser has the worst packing in the audio industry. Everyone else gives you a fitted carrying case or at least a pouch.

The hair shed is normal. Might hasten the shedding by blowing not too strongly on it with an air jet.

Wonder if the same company owns Century Optics? :-))
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here is what an audio pro from the Cow gang told me:
"That often happens as foam decays. Ususally to old foam products or foam products that have been exposed to sunlight for extended period.
It sounds like it's old and used or at least old."

Is that really what happens to foam over time? If this is true, the place I purchased the windscreen from is going to hear it from me big time. In the last month I have bought equipment worth of $5K and was planning of getting more stuff from them. This is very unprofessional.

Thank you, everyone for your replies.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio