can someone recommend good, dependable, RF mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

can someone recommend good, dependable, RF mic?

Hi there,
I'm close to getting a Sony EX1 (records onto SXS cards), and will need a good RF mic (or two) - - the shop here in Ottawa sells the Sennheiser EW100 model - - I have no idea whether that's a good one or not.
Can any of you recommend something that's very good, very dependable, in the way of RF mics? I have to be very mobile, and can't work with a sound person (I'm all by myself).
Thanks so much,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi there,
I'm close to getting a Sony EX1 (records onto SXS cards), and will need a good RF mic (or two) - - the shop here in Ottawa sells the Sennheiser EW100 model - - I have no idea whether that's a good one or not.
Can any of you recommend something that's very good, very dependable, in the way of RF mics? I have to be very mobile, and can't work with a sound person (I'm all by myself).
Thanks so much,
Malcolm
"Very good, very dependable" is open to wide interpretation <grin>. What sort of environment do you expect you'll be working in? What budget range is in consideration? The EW-100 G2 or EW-500 series Sennheisers are a good bet but Lectrosonics and Zaxcom are also industry leaders and may be more relaible in more demanding situations. There's a new 1800 series from Audio Technica as well that is getting very favourable comments from folks that have tried them. Give the folks at Trew Audio over here in Toronto a call and have a chat with 'em, they sell all four and will give you unbiased advice.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate the advice...
I figure I'll mostly be shooting in and around Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal... nothing too rugged or difficult. Anyway, I will call the Trew Audio people; I'll also do some googling, now that I have some other names of equipment makers...
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Thanks Steve,
I appreciate the advice...
I figure I'll mostly be shooting in and around Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal... nothing too rugged or difficult. Anyway, I will call the Trew Audio people; I'll also do some googling, now that I have some other names of equipment makers...
Cheers,
Malcolm
The folks at TRew will also be able to steer you in the right direction regarding frequency ranges to get for the area.
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

We recently bought an EW-100 G2 at the office for larger meetings. I did some initial tests, and it was rock solid from hundreds of feet inside our building and through interior walls. I don't expect that we'll get any dropouts again.

What I haven't tested is the quality of the sound. It was fine through our 12" Mackie powered speakers for live events, but I can't say if it has low enough distortion and noise and a wide enough frequency range for film/video production. I'd need to hear the signal recorded and through headphones or studio monitors to really tell.

I'd recommend not going down to the Shure SLX level. I've used these and the noise and frequency response were unacceptable for a professional sound.

And I'm a guy who loves good budget solutions. Some cheap mics and electronics can get the job done well enough that few would ever notice. Not true with cheap wireless systems. Wireless is often the weak link in the chain.
Old December 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Trustee

What is your price range total for how many wireless systems, including the microphones?

For your use, compactness of size and weight are a consideration. Do you need two? One for each channel.

I know several people who us the Sennheiser G2 (usually with an upgraded mic, such as the Tram TR50), and they are very happy. Two receivers can mount easily to the camcorder or in a small sound bag. They are easy to setup.

If you are in the the low thousand dollar range, Lectrosonics makes some very nice units that are small and very good quality in the 400 series. There's one transmitter that is tiny, and one a little bigger that is waterproof.

I have two Audio Technica wireless systems. They work well, but the receivers are larger than other brands and are sometimes a hassle. The Sennheiser G2 is very nice because of it's ease of operation and size.

But the first step is to decide on a price range:

$500+$230 buys a Sennheiser G2 or the Audio Technica and a Tram mic

$1100+$230 buys a Sennheiser EW-500 (incl. a plug-on transmitter) and a Tram mic:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

$2500-$4500 buys a Lectrosonics 400 series system

With the Sennheiser you can get a kit that will include a body pack transmitter and a plug-on transmitter for less than the individual prices.

Samson also makes a nice little wireless system, very small and lightweight. It gives very good quality sound, but I can't vouch for how well it holds up. I've tried it, but not used it extensively.

The Audio Technica 1800 has a dual channel receiver. However, I thought a read something that had discouraged me about considering this system. It could have been something particular to my situation, though.

I would consider only proved systems for their price range and consider $500 a basic low price for a system without a quality mic. (The audio technica has a pretty good stock mic.)

Also, check what kind of batteries it uses. This may make a difference. I think the G2 uses AA size which is convenient. The Audio Technica I have use 9 volt batteries which aren't as convenient.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks so much everyone (sorry not to post this thanks sooner... was away for a few days)... very helpful, and thorough (particularly your response, Jack). I can't afford some of the more expensive mics, sad to say, so maybe the Sennheiser is my best bet, but i'll check prices here and there, and call Trew Audio.
A follow-up question, if you don't mind - - just occurred to me. Can a person get a good mic that will not only attach to the RF transmitter, but would also double as a wired lav mic? In other words, plug it into the transmitter when I use it wirelessly, but somehow attach it via cable when I go wired? If this were possible, I might be able to spend a bit more, because I wouldn't have to buy two separate mics (one wireless, one wired).
Cheers everyone,
Malcolm
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Major Player

I think this thread will answer your question:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=wired+lav
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio