If you are in the market for a shotgun/cardioid... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boda View Post
Well done Dan. You have certainly assembled an excellent resource. Be ready to do it all again in 5 years.
Hmm...you think we'll all be using those old fashioned "microphones" in 2013? ;-)

Dan

Last edited by Dan Brockett; January 9th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Excellent, excellent work Dan. I cant remember when I saw a side by side with so many mics included. Helps people make choices or reaffirm those already made.

I have to say I am guilty of using a boom mounted shotgun indoors a lot, because I use the CS3 and its incredibly versatile in this manner. And when I switch from an an Interior to Exterior, my sound whilst different because of ambience has a similar quality to it across the board. I find if I need to I can fake other components where needed.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hmm...you think we'll all be using those old fashioned "microphones" in 2013? ;-)
Our microphones are probably the only things that won't be obsolete in 2013. :)
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
Excellent, excellent work Dan. I cant remember when I saw a side by side with so many mics included. Helps people make choices or reaffirm those already made.

I have to say I am guilty of using a boom mounted shotgun indoors a lot, because I use the CS3 and its incredibly versatile in this manner. And when I switch from an an Interior to Exterior, my sound whilst different because of ambience has a similar quality to it across the board. I find if I need to I can fake other components where needed.
Hi Noel:

So glad that you like the article, doing all of that recording and playing back was a real ear opener for me as well. Nothing like hands-on testing to really help you decide what you like. Unfortunately I really fell in love with about half of the mics, but I did the math and I don't have a spare $10k for mics burning a hole in my pocket ;-)

The CS-3e is a really nice mic, I am sure that it records some great sound for you.

All my best,

Dan
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Just finished

Hi all:

Just wanted to let all of you know that I just delivered a show to a client today that was shot with the Audio-Technica AT875r, the lowest cost mic I tested. It sounds very good, I am so impressed with this little microphone. Mostly just interviews but in a real, pretty noisy location. The end results were superb.

Best,

Dan
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Hello Dan, and thank you for your effort to deliver such amount of audio info about the mics. Also I want to ask you if I can connect an AT875r to a HDR HC1. Do it work if I'll connect it directly to my cam(no phantom power) or do I have to provide ph power to it? Can you recommend me a suitable mic for my HC1 if this AT875r it's not good?
Thank you,
Alin
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Not saying it is never done but I have never seen a sound mixer on a film or television shoot use a KM184. Great mic, I have used it for recording music many times but I don't think that mic is on the radar of very many sound for picture users.

Dan
Quieter than the Schoeps but too wide a pattern.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio