xh a1 external mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #1
New Boot

xh a1 external mic

New to site , joined yesterday , coming from a background in photography , recently purchased a xh a1 , very pleased so far and was interested in purchasing a external mic , have read good things about the ntg 1 and ntg 2 , was leaning to the ntg 1 but seems many purchase the ntg 2 , will the length of the 2 be a problem , they seem to be close in price for the kit at b&h .
Paul Daglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

You've got to head on down to audio section with that question. But in my opinion the ntg1 and 2 are great mics, the reason most of us chose the ntg2 is because having the option of battery power can come in handy sometimes. I also have an xh-a1 and the length is not problem for me.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
New Boot

will be using mainly on camera , would the ntg2 still be a better choice over the ntg1 , seem to have the same specs overall .
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from People in Your Neighborhood to All Things Audio.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Paul I bought a ntg2 because I have another camera without xlr so it means I can use the ntg2 with battery power on the other equipment but will always use phantom power from HXA1 when using it with XHA1
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Would the ntg1 be a better choice due to the size , a bit smaller , someone mentioned the ntg2 being longer was a bit front heavy, it would be camera mounted , they are so close in price .
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Paul If you will not need to use the 2 on any other equipment go for the 1.

Alan
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #8
New Boot

Alan , true , although if there is no problem with the length or weight , as you said i would have the option to use off camera if ever needed
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Paul I have not found any problem with weight have not used the 1 but I would think that the 2 may have a slight advantage with the extra length at the back to balance it better in the shockmount.

Alan
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Daglieri View Post
Would the ntg1 be a better choice due to the size , a bit smaller , someone mentioned the ntg2 being longer was a bit front heavy, it would be camera mounted , they are so close in price .
In terms of performance they're virtually identical because they're really the same mic. The NTG-1 requires phantom power while the NTG-2 has the internal battery for those circumstances where phantom is unavailable. I don't have specs in front of me but I think the -2 has just a hair less performance when running on battery. Other than that, and if you'll always have phantom available, there's no compelling reason to choose one over the other other than physical size.
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #11
New Boot

I will be using the camera handheld mostly and thought with the ntg 1 would be a bit easier to handle , will try to make a decision today and order from b&h , is there a shockmount that is recommended over the one included in the ntg 1 or 2 kit .
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #12
New Boot

xh a1 custom settings

what setting and frame would be best to obtain a film look and warmer saturation of color , shooting mostly indoors under not necessarily low light but poor lighting , thank you for all the help , new to site and coming from photography background.
Paul Daglieri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio