Recording sound on set through macbook pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording sound on set through macbook pro

I'm planning on using my Macbook pro for recording sound on set. Therefore I was thinking of buying a Firewire 410 from M-audio so I can use 48v for my ME66.

Would this be a good choice? Better than recording directly to the camera? Is there a good firewire (or USB) with nice pre-amplifiers AND cheaper than the Firewire 410 (I'll be using only one mic!)?

Thx!
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The macbook pro already have good intern mic, you could record from garageband or audacity.this recording combined with your camera sound will be an upgrade.and you can buy Samson mic that are usb for $100 or go for M-audio type interface but it will be more expensive.
but first try you onboard mic of macbook you will be suprised if you mix it with your camera.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Labelle View Post
The macbook pro already have good intern mic, you could record from garageband or audacity.this recording combined with your camera sound will be an upgrade.
Seconded. The internal microphone blows away the ME66 in off-axis rejection and high-frequency rolloff. Be sure to use a high-quality carbon fiber boom to get your laptop close to the subject. It also functions well as a lapel: use gaffer tape to affix the laptop to their sternum and it will totally blend in with the environment.

I'm not sure what kind of video camera you're using, but I bet the Macbook is superior there, too. The iSight doesn't zoom, but everyone knows that prime lenses have the highest quality anyways.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Major Player

I just spit up coffee... That's funny!
Sorry Martin, I haven't captured to a laptop, but couldn't
resist responding to the others...

Good luck.
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello
I did not understand the two message before of me66,prime lens and the spit coffee.It must be funny but I usually speak french and I have trouble understading english jokes sometime.But I listen seinfeld and I understand more and more.
But its not helping our friend with his problem, and for the lens of macbook watch on youtube theres a lot of clip done with isight.no its not for cinema use but it does the job and not a single customer ever notice the mix or complained, I use it in a lot of concert recording because its very wide angle and its a 3rd camera for me that I mix with the 2others.And for the sound it capture nicely the atmosphere of the venue, I place the laptop near the soundman and light guy where the sound is often the best in the room.
I will show an example soon
salut

Last edited by Martin Labelle; January 23rd, 2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: misprint miss a phrase
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Joking aside, I decided on the E-MU 0202 from my recent thread on USB Audio Interfaces. It's performing very well. Someday I'd like to do some formal tests and analysis of the preamp and ADC comparing my E-MU 0202, XH A1, and Beachtek+PVGS654.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet Deyaert View Post
I'm planning on using my Macbook pro for recording sound on set. Therefore I was thinking of buying a Firewire 410 from M-audio so I can use 48v for my ME66. Would this be a good choice?
Using a firewire or USB audio interface is a good idea, and the M-audio brand units have been recommended here before.

Quote:
Better than recording directly to the camera?
Yes. However, it's not certain that the difference will be big enough or important enough to warrant the extra effort. For example, if you'll be using heavy compression in the mixer so your dynamic range is limited to begin with, then 16-bit may adequately reach your noise floor. I think 24-bit is worth the effort.

Quote:
Is there a good firewire (or USB) with nice pre-amplifiers AND cheaper than the Firewire 410 (I'll be using only one mic!)?
Thx!
The M-Audio Fast Track USB is only $100, but it doesn't have phantom power. The Tascam US-122L for $130 has phantom power, but I haven't seen anyone vouch for Tascam quality.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM   #7
Trustee

I will confess to having used a Powerbook G4 without an external mic in an emergency (last minute request for filming, very difficult and noisy live performance with dodgy PA, over 63 minute running times). It worked surprisingly well, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for normal use because in a quiet environment (surprise surprise) you can hear noises from the Mac.

I have often used an USB Mbox and ProTools LE7 with a variety of microphones for audio capture, and its been pretty good, but quite a lot of extra hassle over just using the camera if doing it all myself. The talent had to do a fair bit of waiting around for final adustments to lighting video and audio.

I have a lingering unease about USB, and have taken advice on this. The balance of opinion was "firewire is better/safer for audio interfaces, but not if it's on the same bus as an external drive" and "for basic stereo capture, USB is fine."

PS Daniel, that was very naughty of you... I read that at 06:30 GMT today and nearly woke up the street, never mind the household. Don't do that to me!

Last edited by Colin McDonald; January 23rd, 2008 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added PS
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Il voulait dire que ce que vous avez dit est un peut rigolo. En effet, il semblait que vous vouliez qu'il utilise le micro du Macbook (apparement vrai). Alors il a dis un petit blague qu'il fallait le monter sur une perche pour une meilleur son...
A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Labelle View Post
Hello
I did not understand the two message before of me66,prime lens and the spit coffee.It must be funny but I usually speak french and I have trouble understading english jokes sometime.But I listen seinfeld and I understand more and more.
But its not helping our friend with his problem, and for the lens of macbook watch on youtube theres a lot of clip done with isight.no its not for cinema use but it does the job and not a single customer ever notice the mix or complained, I use it in a lot of concert recording because its very wide angle and its a 3rd camera for me that I mix with the 2others.And for the sound it capture nicely the atmosphere of the venue, I place the laptop near the soundman and light guy where the sound is often the best in the room.
I will show an example soon
salut
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luker View Post
Il voulait dire que ce que vous avez dit est un peut rigolo. En effet, il semblait que vous vouliez qu'il utilise le micro du Macbook (apparement vrai). Alors il a dis un petit blague qu'il fallait le monter sur une perche pour une meilleur son...
A+
I'm impressed, ...mais
Que veut dire "un peut rigolo?" (en Anglaise s'il vous plait).
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Major Player

A little funny.
I lived in France for 8 years...
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luker View Post
A little funny.
I lived in France for 8 years...
Thanks. I went to Disneyland Paris for 4 days in October (not expecting to enjoy it particularly - it was brilliant!)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio