VX-2100 Audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VX-2100 Audio question

Would it be better to use a mini to XLR adapter to get audio from a sound board as opposed to going through a BeachTek device? The reason I ask is because the beachTek I have outputs audio at mic level. The VX has a mic/line switch. If I switch to line I could bypass the pre amps in the camera. Do you think this would improve my sound? The audio I get through the BeackTek is not bad I just feel it lacks in dynamic range. I do dance recitals and a local pageant, sound board quality varies, but I always get a decent signal.

I was thinking of trying something like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=160632&is=REG

and adding these in line pads to each XLR line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68600&is=REG

Any opinions would be great

Thanks
Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'd say that since you're doing videography, that the beachtek adapter would be the best bet. With that you would save so much time syncing the audio directly from the camera. Also you're not going to notice a huge difference in sound from the board as opposed to your camera. I have a VX2100 and I use a 1/8' audio input directly to the camera with a RODE NT3 mic. I've filmed several live music performances and have had great results with it.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Travis for the reply.

Where do you locate your Rode NT3? Does it work well for Tap performances? I have found soundboard sound to be weak on tap unless they have a mic on stage turned on during the performance, So Im also looking to add a mic for that purpose, We shoot we three cams and I mix the audio to suit in post. Maybe next time I will try the Rode with one of the cams, again thanks for the response.

Ben
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Fred Retread

Using line level switch doesn't bypass the VX2100's preamps. It attenuates the level down to mic level and the preamps are still used. To get superb audio with the VX2100, get the very well regarded Greg Winter modification. A search on his name here or on google will turn up the details.

There's no difference in dynamic range between using line or mic at the VX2100 end, unless you use Auto mode for one and manual for the other. Auto mode will certainly shrink the dynamic range and add other undesirable effects.

If the house doesn't have any mics on or above the stage, that's pretty lame. What are you getting from the board, CD music? You can do better yourself. A Rode Stereo Videomic on a stand near the stage, recorded into a Zoom H2 recorder would work well.
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

They do have mics on the stage just not on during dancing and tap usually, So I do get the mic feed through the mixer when they are on for vocals.
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Fred Retread

Oh, I see. That makes sense. Too bad though that they don't just mute the audio to the PA for the taps but leave the mics on for you.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, Thats a good idea. I will ask the sound guy about that, but using a Rode up close would work I think as well, and I could mix in most when I needed it.
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
Thanks Travis for the reply.

Where do you locate your Rode NT3?

Ben
http://dvcreators.net/rode-microphones
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio