Booming Technique question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
So id love if anyone can recommend me a Mic like the CMC6MK41 that is not as narrow as my current shotgun AudioTechnica AT835b. HOWEVER, HOWEVER, I really dont want to spend 1,500 on a mic unless im convinced its going to make a huge impact on the speed of production. Is there anything in the 300 to 500 range that will be better than my current mic for the situation i described?
Well first, I'm agreeing with Steve, Wayne and Abe.

Second, the cmc641 will make every production you do from here sound better. Don't be shy and do it today. The price is going up February 1st. REALLY!

Third, 2 feet apart, the CMC641 will cover both. Six feet, may be more than the miraculous cmc641 can handle. Maybe not. Depends on the voices, where they have their head aimed and the acoustical environment.

Fourth, tell your director you can't guarantee great coverage with one mic, especially if the actor's voices vary in volume during these scenes, but that it will streamline the production process. Some actors have deceptively big voices. You won't know until you boom them, but if you get a bigee and a smallee, you can try just booming over the smallee and the bigee voice will get there anyway.

Fifth, lavs recorded on separate tracks may be your best bet given the varying distance, but then you have the possibility of clothing noise, rf problems, etc..

(BTW, yes, different boom mics, like different cameras, will capture differently and sound different.)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

"Thats what i'm looking for! A boom mic that can still pick up good audio if your boom person is not so accurate..."

Tyson, when I say "a little off" I mean by a couple of inches. The most important audio equipment on your set is a trained boom op. There really is no miracle mic that will compensate for that. I'd suggest investing in a couple of books and learning the technique thoroughly and locating someone willing to invest the time to master booming effectively.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

instead of the schoeps with a 41 hyper card, you could try a mk4 card.
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio