Portable power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Portable power

I'm planning on getting a G2 wireless system to use with my Cannon A1 video cam. We do a lot of on-the-street type interviews and have concluded that we need a wireless lav system for some of these shots.

The question I have, though, about this is how to power it up if I don't have an outlet to plug into on the street corner. :)

How do I power up my wireless system? Are there kits, or battery packs for this type of scenario?
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The G2 has either the plug in rack mounted receiver version or the ENG battery powered version with the transmitter and receiver powered by two double A batteries. The receiver in the ENG system is the same size as the transmitter and can be mounted on the camera if you want. You can also get a transmitter that will adapt a hand held mic to wireless.
Bernie
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Beaudry View Post
The G2 has either the plug in rack mounted receiver version or the ENG battery powered version with the transmitter and receiver powered by two double A batteries. The receiver in the ENG system is the same size as the transmitter and can be mounted on the camera if you want. You can also get a transmitter that will adapt a hand held mic to wireless.
Bernie
Thanks a lot for that! I found this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...er-?sku=270842 Is this the set up you are referring to?
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Claycomb View Post
Thanks a lot for that! I found this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...er-?sku=270842 Is this the set up you are referring to?
That's the one
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I looked it up on Sennheiser's site and other places, but couldn't come up with the answer.

How many mics can one of these systems handle? Is it possible to have 2 lavs running at the same time AND a wireless handheld on the same system?

And also, if multiple mics is handled, does it convert it all to one track and then into the recording device (in my case the camera)?

In other words, if multiple mics is handled on this system, what is the end result of the signal? 1 track per mic, or 1 track per system?
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

>How many mics can one of these systems handle? Is it possible to have 2 >lavs running at the same time AND a wireless handheld on the same system?

Each of these systems can handle one mic.
If you want to run 2 Lavs and a Wireless handheld, you would need 3 of these systems.
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Oh. Thanks.

Would it even be possible to have two lavs at the same shared frequency being picked up by one base unit (as opposed to two)?
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

No, each lav will have to have it's own frequency.
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

If you want 3 wireless mics going you will need to get a mixer and two more wireless to hop from the mixer to the A1. Hire a sound guy with gear. They should be able to help you. Otherwise you will need to buy gear.
Good Luck
Allen Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio