Good all-around combo? Indoors and outdoors - ME66 and ME64 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be recording into the camera most of the time. A mixture of wireless and hard-wire. Most of the time the mic will be on a boom (with stabilizers and a rycote softie or blimp).

I already have two lav mic's - One wireless Senny and a Sony ECM 77B for hardwire. I don't like using lav mic's so they are doing the job when I need them just fine for now.

I had a chat with the audio guy at Cinequip-White today (the TV end of William F. White in Toronto) and he suggested the Sennheiser 416 or the Neumann KRM 81.

I was able to have a listen to both of them among others and I think one of the two is best for a first investment. I already use a ME-66 right now for a staff job and I thought it was pretty good but wow, quite a difference between the 416 and the 66.

I am having a hard time picking between the 81 and the 416. I like the sound of the Neumann a little more and it's a little more forgiving at the sides so my boom op can be a little off. But the Senny has a great rep for being a workhorse and it's built very solid. Plus it had way more throw than the Neumann. Slightly different tools, in a perfect world I'd have both but only budgeted for one since I still need to buy all the accessories and I think I might end up getting a mixer.

The sales guy recommended a Sound Devices 302 or the version with only 2 channels but he said that there were not as many options on that model.

Any advice on the mixer?
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Regular Crew

For comparing the SD 302 and the MixPre, see:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mi...er-comparison/

The 302 has two stage gain/fader, better meters more segments and various choosable ballastics and some other nice features, such as the ability to handle and monitor M/S stereo, and of course has 3 inputs. It can put out a line level signal and a mic signal and various choices in between. The MixPre I think can only put out a line level signal, but of course you could add a pad to bring it down. The 302 will hold its value well, and might be needed for some future project. you won't be sorry if you buy it.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Man, if you can swing the 302 do it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Adding my 0.02, by all means go for the 302 if your budget will allow it. I'm a big believer in buying with an eye to future needs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio