DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How Are You Carrying Mixer + Recorder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/114391-how-you-carrying-mixer-recorder.html)

Peter Moretti February 9th, 2008 01:49 PM

How Are You Carrying Mixer + Recorder?

I have an SD 302 mixer and a 744T recorder. I'm looking at different ways of carrying these during production.

Sound Devices makes the CS-3 which will carry a 302 or a 744. I could get two; which would be useful for when I want to use only the mixer or the recorder but not both.

Of course there are offerings by PortaBrace and Petrol.

How are you carrying your mixer and recorder? Thanks as always.

Steve House February 9th, 2008 02:19 PM

In the same process as you, Peter, deciding on a bag for my 442 (to which eventually a 702 or 744 will be added). Was looking the other day at a Kata Koala #3 which looks very good. Also considering the Petrol PEGZ-1 Small Eargonizer and the CS-4 from Sound Devices. Kind of leaning toward the Koala right now - going to be interesting to see what others are using.

Mike Peter Reed February 9th, 2008 02:24 PM

Petrol PEGZ-2. Lots of room. Possibly too much room. If I want just the mixer or recorder (302 and 702T is what I have plus HawksWood power) then I'll directly attach a strap and should-sling a single unit. When working from the bag I still shoulder sling it and it's still easier than the Nagra 4.2 days ....

Ross Jones February 9th, 2008 02:29 PM

Peter,
For my 302 & 702 I use this bag -> Petrol PSDMB-302 Audio Mixer Bag: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=340291&is=REG
The 302 & 702 have separate, adjustable compartments; additional holders for wireless receivers, and space for connectors, batteries, etc.
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter Moretti February 9th, 2008 02:40 PM

Mike thanks for the feedback ;). I should have mentioned that will be shooting a documentary; so lots of going into people's homes and setting up in living rooms.

So small size is important to me. I can put the extra equipment in another bag. At a minimum I need carry just the 302. At the most (I believe) the 302, 744T and two G2 transmitters.

I think even the PEGZ-1 is more than I need.

Thanks all for the suggestions; I'm looking into them.

P.S. The Kata SUNDO bags look interesting. The interior panels can be cut to size and rubber feet keep the bottom off the ground.

http://www.kata-bags.com/category.as...d=1&ProdLine=1

Ivan Snoeckx February 9th, 2008 04:30 PM

Very interesting! I'm also looking for a new audio bag for a PSC DV Promix 3. My choice goes out to the KATA SUNDO-1. Is there anybody who uses this audio organizer, and have some pictures of it? The photos on their website are not detailed enough.

Joe Voorhees February 9th, 2008 09:25 PM

I have a PSC ProMix 3 that fits very nicely in a Portabrace SD 442 Bag. No recorder but I do have the wireless pouch hanging off the front - a perfect fit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dio_Mixer.html

Steve Oakley February 9th, 2008 10:43 PM

I've got a PEGZ-1 and its kind of small. You could fit a mixer in the front, record in the back but - the wireless receivers would have to go into the front pouch. Not that there isn't elastic in there to hold them, but it might get crowded as the front should hold you headphones. G2's would be ok, but lectros would be a tight fit.

I"ve got a FP33 in the front, 2 lectro's in the back with a bag light and a custom master power switch with LED battery level indicator. not much space left. I could get a 3rd reciever in there, thats it. for what you are thinking of, get the PEGZ-2. Oh, finding a spot for the transmitters has been tough as they just don't want to fit anywhere protected. You can put them in the transmitter pouches, but without a hardwire to them from the mixer ( as camera sends ) you run the risk of one of them popping off :( better to have a little bit bigger bag with some space - you'll use it, trust me - then a smaller one that just barely fits because as soon as you settle into it, you'll get another piece of gear to carry. I actually carry 2 lavs in cases as well in the bag so its always ready to go. don't forget break-away cable, some piggin straps.

Seth Bloombaum February 10th, 2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 823279)
...So small size is important to me. I can put the extra equipment in another bag. At a minimum I need carry just the 302. At the most (I believe) the 302, 744T and two G2 transmitters...

I'm not tracking with this. If small size is important... don't you want a bag big enough that you don't need to bring a second bag?

The point of the Petrol Eargonizers (which I like a lot) is that you buy them big enough to hold mixer, recorder, receivers, transmitters, cans, power and you don't carry anything else. You run it all out of one bag, which can hang in front for operation or go on a table, chair or floor if space is available. If you have additional equipment in another bag, you're not really set up to operate out of your bag and you'll always need space to set up. And, you don't have a hand for your boom.

With the one-bag approach - if you have room to stand you have room to work.

Peter Moretti February 10th, 2008 03:02 AM

Seth, my feeling--and it could change since I'm still very new to this--is I want my bag to carry what's needed while rolling. I can have another bag off to the side with all the other items I might need or will be changing out to. But I don't want to carry that auxiliary stuff around my waist or over my shoulder, or having it sitting on the floor next to the tripod.

Seth Bloombaum February 10th, 2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 823494)
...buy them big enough to hold mixer, recorder, receivers, transmitters, cans, power...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 823512)
...I can have another bag off to the side with all the other items I might need or will be changing out to. But I don't want to carry that auxiliary stuff...

Ah, now I see - you're feeling that some of the equipment listed is auxiliary to your everyday needs. Whatever works for your style of shooting is great.

It's true that all that crap weighs too much and a big enough bag is bulky. I think it comes back to the style of production. I've certainly been on doc shoots where if the doohickey that was suddenly and unexpectedly needed wasn't physically on the sound op, it couldn't get used.

But if "just a sec, it's in my bag across the room... sh*#, it's in the car" works for the style of shooting, that's weight off the shoulders and I'm all for it.

Peter Moretti February 12th, 2008 10:13 PM

I've checked out the Petrol. Very nice, excellent protection but comparatively heavy. The Kata bags are much lighter, but don't seem to have the same level of protection.

Jim Boda February 13th, 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 825394)
I've checked out the Petrol. Very nice, excellent protection but comparatively heavy. The Kata bags are much lighter, but don't seem to have the same level of protection.

I'd recommend using the Petrol harness w/ the bag. It distributes the weight where it needs to be...once you get it adjusted properly. The harness has additional clip on pouches for adding wireless or batteries.

Marco Leavitt February 13th, 2008 05:45 PM

What about attaching two bags together? There are hooks on the front of my SD302 bag (stock bag, sold by SD). Couldn't I use those to attach the stock bag for the SD722? What's the best way to do that?

Brooks Harrington February 15th, 2008 07:45 PM

Peter, Sundo-1 looks interesting. It looks like.... a bag. If you find somewhere around LA to look at it, let us know. LSC and Coffey usually don't carry KATA. Petrols are heavy. Porta well made, but just something... I don't know. I need to actually look at these things. And when I do... can't decide.....My problem is I like the recorder next to me and the mixer out in front, and everyone sets these bags up the other way.
Sundo could work. Looked at the Petrol PSDMB-302 that Ross mentioned and that looked like it would fit a recorder and 302.