DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Technica 875R softy or Dead cat (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/114461-audio-technica-875r-softy-dead-cat.html)

Charles Dasher February 10th, 2008 01:30 PM

Audio Technica 875R softy or Dead cat

I am considering this mic for an on camera mount on my Sony EX1. Is there a softy or dead cat to fit this short shotgun? I need something more than a foam windscreen.

Dan Brockett February 11th, 2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Dasher (Post 823748)
I am considering this mic for an on camera mount on my Sony EX1. Is there a softy or dead cat to fit this short shotgun? I need something more than a foam windscreen.

I am sure that there are softies and dead kittys to fit. My advice would be to just call Rycote or LSC, Trew or Coffey and ask them. It will seem kind of ridiculous to spend probably $200.00 to $400.00 for wind protection for a $189.00 mic but if that's the mic you like, go for it. I don't think a BBG would cover the diaphragm openings, too long.

Dan

Chris Swanberg February 11th, 2008 07:28 PM

Try visiting Micover.com. If they do not normally carry what you need they could probably make it for you. This is the Poor man's answer to overpriced microphone windcovers... they run about $30 or so.

Charles Dasher February 12th, 2008 11:02 AM

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan

I made a decision partly based on your recommendation from a previous post as well as listening to your test recordings.

"I would suggest a shorter microphone but still a shotgun if you are shooting exteriors. In my recent microphone article, the shorter shotguns that were designed for camera mounting specifically were the Sanken CS1 and the Audio-Technica AT875r"

I believe for on the beach and tracking shots in boats and such that this mic will suffice for capturing ambient sound. So much of what I do is based on run and gun. I will be purchasing a higher end shotgun for boom mounting once my bank account gets over the EX1 plus accessories purchase.

I found a reasonably priced cover from a German company that makes a short dead cat for 7 inch mics.

I appreciate your posts and time testing and posting gear results

Dasher

Dan Brockett February 12th, 2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Dasher (Post 825010)
Hi Dan

I made a decision partly based on your recommendation from a previous post as well as listening to your test recordings.

"I would suggest a shorter microphone but still a shotgun if you are shooting exteriors. In my recent microphone article, the shorter shotguns that were designed for camera mounting specifically were the Sanken CS1 and the Audio-Technica AT875r"

I believe for on the beach and tracking shots in boats and such that this mic will suffice for capturing ambient sound. So much of what I do is based on run and gun. I will be purchasing a higher end shotgun for boom mounting once my bank account gets over the EX1 plus accessories purchase.

I found a reasonably priced cover from a German company that makes a short dead cat for 7 inch mics.

I appreciate your posts and time testing and posting gear results

Dasher

Hi Charles:

Good luck with it and let us know how it's working for you. A link to the German company would be nice for others considering the same setup.

Best,

Dan