Audio Technica 875R softy or Dead cat at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Technica 875R softy or Dead cat

I am considering this mic for an on camera mount on my Sony EX1. Is there a softy or dead cat to fit this short shotgun? I need something more than a foam windscreen.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
I am considering this mic for an on camera mount on my Sony EX1. Is there a softy or dead cat to fit this short shotgun? I need something more than a foam windscreen.
I am sure that there are softies and dead kittys to fit. My advice would be to just call Rycote or LSC, Trew or Coffey and ask them. It will seem kind of ridiculous to spend probably $200.00 to $400.00 for wind protection for a $189.00 mic but if that's the mic you like, go for it. I don't think a BBG would cover the diaphragm openings, too long.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Try visiting Micover.com. If they do not normally carry what you need they could probably make it for you. This is the Poor man's answer to overpriced microphone windcovers... they run about $30 or so.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan

I made a decision partly based on your recommendation from a previous post as well as listening to your test recordings.

"I would suggest a shorter microphone but still a shotgun if you are shooting exteriors. In my recent microphone article, the shorter shotguns that were designed for camera mounting specifically were the Sanken CS1 and the Audio-Technica AT875r"

I believe for on the beach and tracking shots in boats and such that this mic will suffice for capturing ambient sound. So much of what I do is based on run and gun. I will be purchasing a higher end shotgun for boom mounting once my bank account gets over the EX1 plus accessories purchase.

I found a reasonably priced cover from a German company that makes a short dead cat for 7 inch mics.

I appreciate your posts and time testing and posting gear results

Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Hi Dan

I made a decision partly based on your recommendation from a previous post as well as listening to your test recordings.

"I would suggest a shorter microphone but still a shotgun if you are shooting exteriors. In my recent microphone article, the shorter shotguns that were designed for camera mounting specifically were the Sanken CS1 and the Audio-Technica AT875r"

I believe for on the beach and tracking shots in boats and such that this mic will suffice for capturing ambient sound. So much of what I do is based on run and gun. I will be purchasing a higher end shotgun for boom mounting once my bank account gets over the EX1 plus accessories purchase.

I found a reasonably priced cover from a German company that makes a short dead cat for 7 inch mics.

I appreciate your posts and time testing and posting gear results

Dasher
Hi Charles:

Good luck with it and let us know how it's working for you. A link to the German company would be nice for others considering the same setup.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio