need to complete my system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

need to complete my system

I currently have a GL-2 and an Azden 2x mic. I use a Mac with Final Cut Pro and would like to flesh out my hardware so I can begin to look at some minor pro work.

I am looking at picking up 2 beachtek or xlr pros, an Azden 500UDR system with a Sony ECM44B wireless Lav, a Canon wide angle lens, another Azden shotgun, a 41xt transmitter to allow one Azden to be used wirelessly, and a mic stand.

Oh...and a second GL-2. This already breaks my bank but I'm hoping it is a good starting place for doing small video work. While doing weddings isn't my goal in life, I figure I may end up starting there until I can get higher end gear and branch out.

Any thoughts on any other necessary gear? I know lights will come into the equation eventually, but I'm guessing for weddings it will mostly be available light.

I have a good tripod and 501 head and a second tripod with a lesser head for the second cam. Any other suggestions for a starter/pro system?
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Anyone?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't forget a pair of headphones to monitor the audio. Recording audio without headphones is like composing a shot without a viewfinder. You'll never know that something's wrong until it's too late.

I use a pair of Sony MDR V6's that have served me well over the years.

You should also look at getting a low-powered or adjustable on-camera light. Situations at receptions are often dark. Having a low-powered on-camera light will help fill the shadows of nearby subjects without losing the background.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

A decent light kit wouldn't hurt.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #5
Wrangler

I don't know about a light kit for weddings but be sure to save some money for marketing. At least business cards.
Old July 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I must have completely missed something, as I thought you were doing other video work as well. In that case, how about a music library? This way you will have a selection of legal music to offer?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I'd suggest that you just buy a lower priced camera than another GL-2. Find one that has a close color temp to the GL-2 so that it matches well in post. Canon's other lower priced models are a close match in color temp. Then just use that as your second camera. Most weddings are one camera shoots anyway (one manned camera I should say).

Also, a lower priced secondary camera will make it's money back a lot quicker and start turning a profit faster than a GL-2 as a second camera. Second camera's only bring in a few hundred dollars to the cost of the production regardless of the quality of the camera. Just get something that matches in color because that is one thing that people can easily pick out.

Definitely buy an on camera light. Don't get caught without one. That's just asking for an upset client when the video looks either dark or strobing.

You may want to plan to stay on the weddings for a while. The next level up is corporate work and that's a full time investment and a multi-person endeavor. What you have right now can make you a lot of money if used properly. You also have a lot more freedom with wedding video's than corporate work. Don't be to hasty to jump into the fire.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the replies...

Like many people, I'm interested in doing more than weddings but I recognize that weddings my provide some funds and if I'm going to do them I want to do them well. I picked up a second GL2, an Azden 500 wireless system with a Sony omni lavalier mic, an Azden 1x (to compliment my 2x) and a beachtek. I got a WD58 wide angle and a 501 tripod head (already have good bogen legs). I added a tape deck too (Panasonic DV1000). I still haven't picked out a light but that will be next. I have most of the gear now. Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'm awaiting delivery of FCP 4.0 and I'm excited to learn the new software associated with it. I'm also going to look around for some canned wedding-appropriate music.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio