DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   UHF Wireless for $400? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/11533-uhf-wireless-400-a.html)

Mike Rehmus August 2nd, 2003 10:37 PM

And the plug-on transmitter is oh so very useful!

Andres Lucero August 2nd, 2003 11:28 PM

Good catch, Marty. What does the plug-on transmitter do? The B&H description is too vague to understand...

Annie Cheatham August 2nd, 2003 11:32 PM

I would like to the plug on transmitter, but I already have a receiver. Can you buy just this one part, or do you hav e to get the set?

Annie C

Marty Wein August 3rd, 2003 05:51 AM

Andres,
The plug on transmitter, converts dynamic or battery powered condenser microphones with XLR jacks to wireless operation, which is great for interviews or too use on boom/shotgun mic's etc.

Annie,
The plug on transmitter is available separate and the model is SKP100.
The Sennheiser system is available in three freq groups A, B and C. When you buy a separate transmitter to an existing system you must buy the same freq block that your current system is on, otherwise it will NOT work.

Andres Lucero August 3rd, 2003 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Marty Wein : Andres,
The plug on transmitter, converts dynamic or battery powered condenser microphones with XLR jacks to wireless operation, which is great for interviews or too use on boom/shotgun mic's etc.
Okay, so the plug-on transmitter is NOT used with the Lavs, but with other mics that would normally have to be tethered to the camera?

Don Berube August 3rd, 2003 10:56 AM

>>>>Re: Evolution 100

>>>>Can this system support up to 4 transmitters?

- yes. Very easily as it is very easy to change the frequency of the transmitter and receiver.

The Sennheiser EW100 is the way to go, offering the best value and most performance for the money. I own two and have had them for over 2 years. Still use them every week.

- don

Marty Wein August 3rd, 2003 11:57 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Andres Lucero : Okay, so the plug-on transmitter is NOT used with the Lavs, but with other mics that would normally have to be tethered to the camera? -->>>

Correct.

One thing you need to know, that you can NOT use both transmitters "Bodypack and Plug-on" simultaneously.

Don Berube August 3rd, 2003 12:19 PM

You CAN, however, use two or more receivers to pick up the same sound from one mic transmitter with the EW100. Simply set your receivers to the same frequency as the mic transmitter.

You can also use the plug-in transmitter with ANY number of EW100 receivers this way as well.

You can also adapt the plug-in transmitter to work with a lavalier mic simply by plugging in the lav into the plug-in transmitter. You can also adapt the standard EW100 transmitter input to accept an XLR input (mic or line level).

I have used this to my advantage many times such as creating a wireless 'stereo' transmitter', sending one mic to more than one camera, etc.

Very easy to make or buy input and output adaptor cables for the EW100 series wireless.

Not to mention that the Sennheiser EW100 series wireless kits have a great deal of range and are made out of very durable metal instead of plastic.

- don

Mike Rehmus August 3rd, 2003 04:07 PM

You can buy the plug-on transmitter from the 500 series and it will work very nicely. It will also supply phantom power which the 100 series does not. The only thing that won't work is that the transmitter battery level will not read out on the receiver.

Mike Butler November 20th, 2003 07:30 PM

The Evo 100 ENG just got a very nice review in AVVMMP magazine.

www.avvideo.com

The only things they didn't like are issues that wouldn't bother me:

Omni capsule; they prefer cardioid. Actually, I prefer omni on a lav, cardioid for handheld.

Hefty size for plug-on transmitter. Hey, worth it if it's for ruggeder quality.

Unbalanced output. Hey, it's only going a little bitty distance, since it's going to be riding on my camera. At least it has the XLR plug.

B&H (a sponsor here) has them in stock at $499, I'll be ordering one this week.

Colin Rowe January 31st, 2004 04:12 PM

Check out.
AKG PR40 UHF diversity receiver about $299
SO40 snap on transmitter
PR40 Micro pen transmitter with built in omni lav
PT40 pocket Transmitter

Albert Wong March 18th, 2005 02:41 PM

Hello there --

I know that this thread is ancient -- so I'm not sure if I should post this here, or just start a new thread. But one thing that Don mentioned caught my eye -- which was the fact that you can buy or make a adapter cable for the Senn transmitter (sk 100) -- which then lets the transmitter take in line/Mike inputs.

"You can also adapt the standard EW100 transmitter input to accept an XLR input (mic or line level)."
--Don Berube

What is this cable? Is it the CL 2 -- 1/8 to female XLR transmitter cable ?

See I've got a new pd 150 and am trying to outfit it for sound -- so, I have been thinking about getting the Sennheiser ew112p system and then buying the CL2 1/8 to female XLR transmitter cable so that I might be able to use the standard Sk100 transmitter (that comes with the ew 1 1 2p) as a "cheap version of a plug in that can accept XLR microphones" (instead of getting the actual skp100 and the eng package).

So, guess my question is -- will that work?

Will I then be able to use my transmitter with any microphone that can plug into the female XLR cable?

Thanks for your answers.

Also, what is the difference between the ew 100 g2 and plain old ew 100 systems prior to g2? Is there any real difference in quality or transmission? I am thinking about trying to find a used system -- but wanted to make sure that there were not any problems I should be aware of.)

Thanks everyone!

Mike Butler March 18th, 2005 03:19 PM

I don't really think you could improve on the old Evo 100 for signal quality...I have had nothing but great results with mine at some crazy long distances.

But the new one has a few nice ergonomic/operational improvements. The body pack chassis is almost an inch shorter than the old one, which is always a good thing in field production. And it boasts >8 hours on a pair of AA battteries, which is almost twice what I get on the 9V batt in the old version.

And of course, attaching a cable between a mic and an SK100 does not make it a plug-ON, like the SKP100. You wind up with still a hand mic attached to a cable (with a little box at the end), and not a one-piece wireless hand mic, which is what any XLR-ended hand mic becomes when the SKP is fastened to it. A definite difference in user-friendliness, I don't know if that would be acceptable to you.

Albert Wong March 18th, 2005 08:18 PM

Thanks Mike -- that clears up things for me. I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go (I'd like to do the ew 100 eng system, but money being a limiting factor, of course:-( ),

I may just try and make do with a "dangling cable hand microphone" for now and go with the more basic ew112p.

Thanks again,
Albert