DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   UHF Wireless for $400? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/11533-uhf-wireless-400-a.html)

Annie Cheatham July 2nd, 2003 05:00 PM

UHF Wireless for $400?

Any suggestions on a UHF wireless lav system for $400 or less? It will be used mainly for weddings. Are there any I should stay away from? I can always get a higher end VHF if I have to. Next question, whats the cheapest price range I should be looking at for a decent shotgun mic? Also, if you know where I can get good deals on mics I would appreciate that info as well. Thanks!

Annie C

Ken Tanaka July 2nd, 2003 05:12 PM

Annie,
There are several and I'm sure others will chime-in.

Personally, I've had a Samson 32 channel diversity system ("UM32L350 Camera Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier 32 Channel System with M32 Receiver, T32 Transmitter and Audio-Technica MT-350 Microphone") for several years and never had a lick of trouble with it, even in such a radio-noisy location as my downtown Chicago home. The only down-sides: it's plastic transmitter case, which might conceivably crack if a big 'un sits on it, and battery life is not lavish.

(I recently bought an Audio-Technica system which seems to be a substantial upgrade on both fronts...for an upgraded price, of course. I'll have my first opportunity to test it this weekend; my wife has roped me into shooting a friend's wedding ceremony...ugh, I can't believe it.)

Mike Rehmus July 2nd, 2003 08:51 PM

If you look hard, you might still find some of the discounted Sennheiser Evolution kits out there for $300. Takes some hard looking but they are still out there. That's for the bodypac trans and receiver and ME2 lav.

Great wireless for the $.

Annie Cheatham July 3rd, 2003 02:36 AM

Mike,

anywhere specific you can think of off hand i should look. i'm getting between a $400 and $500 price range from most of the on line stores.

thanks
annie

Mike Rehmus July 3rd, 2003 08:18 PM

I'll try and find out where my buddy placed his order. He got the lav and plug-on for $500, the same price I got from B&H over a year ago. Not certain I can reach him for a bit as he's acting in a low-budget Hollywood production right now.

Brian M. Dickman July 5th, 2003 04:45 PM

You should give Zotz Digital a call. They're a DVinfo.Net sponsor and have a couple good wireless kits. Their Sennheiser evolution kit is a pack reciever, pack transmitter with em2, plus an XLR-plugin pack transmitter for use with a handheld mic, all for around $500. I'm very happy with the kit myself. I think they also have a Samson kit at a little lower price point.

http://www.zotzdigital.com

Mike Rehmus July 5th, 2003 09:57 PM

That is a very good price. Exactly what I paid and what other resellers are charging around $800.

Annie, I'd recommend that you contact them and if they don't have the Lav setup and you can at all afford another $100, get the combo. You will never regret doing so.

Nathan Gifford July 6th, 2003 08:22 AM

Annie the Sampson is also a very decent mic. If you can get it at the price you want I'm sure you will be happy with it.

The Sennheiser Evolution 100 series you should be able to find for around $450. I love mine and if I find one for around $300, I will pickup a second one.

Nathan Gifford July 9th, 2003 10:43 AM

Evolution 100 System $390 @ Pro-Tape in Houston

Just happen to drop by Pro-Tape in Houston. They have an Evolution 100 system with omni lav for $390. Ask for Jaime (I think).

Annie Cheatham July 14th, 2003 01:56 AM

Thanks a ton Nathan. I called them last week and it was put in the mail on Friday! I'm looking forward to getting away from my VHF situation right now.

Annie C

Michael Wisniewski July 15th, 2003 07:06 PM

Re: Evolution 100

Can this system support up to 4 transmitters?

Marty Wein July 15th, 2003 08:47 PM

Michael,
If you mean four SYSTEMS, the answer is yes.

Only one transmitter per receiver and each system has to be set at a different freq.

Nathan Gifford July 21st, 2003 12:27 PM

Glad I could help Annie. I believe you will be quite happy with Evolution 100. I too was quite surprised that Pro-Tape had one so cheap.

I will probably be back in Houston in a couple of weeks. If they have another one, I buy one myself.

Andres Lucero August 1st, 2003 08:33 PM

B&H has the Evolution 100 for $419 right now (it's listed at $835, but if you add it to your cart you'll see the discounted price).

I'm going to get two of these, but I don't know if I should get the MA-300 XLR adapter or some other kind of mixer (Azden XFM-2?) to hook them both up. I don't have any recording equipment so I'll need to plug directly into the GL2's mic thingy.

Marty Wein August 2nd, 2003 08:20 PM

One thing to keep in mind when purchasing the $419 package is that the XLR cable is NOT included and it may cost $30 - $40 for that cable.

Therefore I like the EW100ENG Package for $499.95 that includes the special XLR cable as well as the Plug-On transmitter, so for just $80.00 you get a lot more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh4/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=218349&is=REG