Sony PCM D50 Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #16
Major Player

OT but it has been said that FR2 LE has noisy low power preamps that are worse than unbalanced lines in my mind.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #17
Inner Circle

FR-2LE is not noisy!

The Fostex FR-2LE preamps are extreemly low noise!!!! They are ALSO lower in amplification than many would like (maybe 10-20dB lower than I, personally, would like). However, boosting in post (if required, it often is n't in my case) still results is superb audio with a very, very low noise floor. It is plain incorrect to say they are noisy. They are not. They are super clean. Now the headphone monitoring out is a bit noisy- BUT not the recordings themselves.

Sorry to be pedantic...... but DVinfo is a valuable place for for useful facts and I'm just trying to keep it that way. Incorrect statements like yours above should be challenged as they just mislead.

This is my opinion, audio experts please chime in to support or refute it if required.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Major Player

I've heard mixed reviews of the FR2LE and wonder what the unit really is like.

Agreed this is a good place for the debate.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Agreed, lets get real users opinions.

However, I would *suggest* that they are put into the thread already going on the FR-2LE (link below with some members inputs already), not this one..... as this one is supposed to be about the Sony PCM-D50!

That way it will be easier for everyone to get the information they want on either unit as it will all be grouped appropriately and together, not spread out across multiple threads (there are already some other posts about the FR-2LE in other threads on Digital Audio Recorders.)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=Fostex+FR-2LE
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'd be interested in hearing from owners w/ DIY solutions to handling noise and wind muffs.

Also, is there any reason to not leave the plug-in power set to "on"? Would there be a battery drain if no mic is plugged in?
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #21
Inner Circle

CNET Review of Sony PCM-D50

Below

http://reviews.cnet.com/voice-record...ml?tag=bubbl_3
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #22
Regular Crew

If you want to use an XLR mic with this recorder, try this cable:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...le&pagesize=20

This cable has built in low-to-high impedance matching so it doesn't add noise to the signal like most adapter cables do. If you need phantom power get an extra box like the Denecke. I have tried this system with my D50; it is relatively compact, much cheaper than the Sony XLR adapter and works well. BTW, I would turn plug-in power off unless you have a mic that actually needs it. The cable is supposed to block it, but I think plug-in power has the potential to add noise to your signal in some circumstances.

For phantom power you could use a portable preamp instead, together with the same cable and send the signal to the line-in jack. The mic jack, however, appears sturdier because of the metal ring reinforcing it. The line-in is just plastic. I've tried this out with a Sound Devices preamp and that works well, but is twice the size and weight of the Denecke phantom supply.

The built in mics do sound pretty good to my ears and the Sony preamp is quiet, but IMO not as rich sounding as the Sound Devices preamps. Hope that helps.

Best,
Peter
www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Forgive the slightly OT question - I'm using a Zoom H4 and it gets me by, but looking for a more professional solution. The Sony looks to fit the bill, but would prefer to go for full XLR inputs and longer term, possibly timecode

The Fostex FR2 LE has been mentioned, but has anyone done a side by side comparison of of it with its bulky big brother, the FR2?

I have searched the other linked thread and the Fostex forum to no avail, so if anyone has real world experience?

Thanks,

Nick.
Nick Wilcox-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Dividing Tracks

For those who have used the D-50: given that the D-50 will automatically divide a recording into a new file when it reaches a 2 GB size, is there a lag when it switches over? My greatest fear is that I'll be recording a concert, and I get an audio gap when the recorder is creating a new file. I heard from an H2 owner that he gets a 15-18 second lag when the H2 is doing this.
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Case for my PCM-D50

Has anyone found a good case to protect the PCM-D50? The one made by Sony isn't available here in the U.S. I would just like something I can keep the recorder in when I throw it in my bag so it won't get all scratched up.
Mark Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I got my Sony a few weeks back and really like it. Re handling noise, etc, I got the remote. I also had someone machine a little aluminum plug with a body the same diameter as my regular mics and a little 1/4-20 stub sticking out one end so I can screw the plug into the D50 and then mount it in one of my regular shock mounts. Works great and makes it really a snap to mount it to a mic stand.

Just for fun I set the Sony up next to my Schoeps CMC641 and recorded a bit of narrative. The Schoeps and Sony were within about 3 inches of each other, and maybe 9 to 12 inches from my face. The Schoeps was hooked up to a SD302/702.

Overall conclusion - one heck of a price performer. A short piece of each file is linked below. Tell me which is which.

www.j-e-andrada.com/A-Short.mp3
www.j-e-andrada.com/C-Short.mp3
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Jim, I'd guess the C-short is the D50. The highs sound a little more sharp and brittle than A, and I think I hear more of a stereo image. I'm just listening on laptop speakers though! Very impressed by the side-by-side test; haven't done that with mine yet.

I own both, and am also very happy with the D50. It feels like having a great point-and-shoot camera. I've been using the D50 for recording foley effects lately and having a lot of fun - it's so small and convenient.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Abe,

You got it! Actually, I thought most people on this forum would get it, but a lot of "normal" people I've run this by can't really tell the difference.

The highs are definitely more - well maybe brittle is the best word I've heard to describe it. Also, more room effect which I'd sort of expect with the X-Y arrangement. If I move it back further from my mouth I get even more room and less me, which doesn't happen with the Schoeps.

Sort of an unfair comparison of course, but it turned out to be more interesting than I thought before doing it.

Naturally I'll use the Schoeps when it counts, but I think I wouldn't feel embarrassed by the Sony either, and the convenience is worth a lot.

I was wearing a lav at the same time, so there's a case "B" as well, but it would be too easy to pick it out.

I have a friend who's a classical guitarist and sometime this Summer I'm supposed to make a demo CD for her. I think I'll do the same kind of side-by-side comparison with the Sony when I do.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #29
Trustee

James,

I also had the ZOOM (H4) and after being unhappy with the sound quality and contols I ended upgrading to the Sony D-50. First off, I have to say that it is a pretty major upgrade in contols, sound quality and build. To answer your question you cannot notice the break at all. I believe the built in buffer allows for this change over to a new file without any lag.

Mark,

I just got a samll camera/camcorder bag and put it in there when I'm transporting it. I got a case logic that's just big enough for the recorder, adapter, wind screen, and a spare set of batteries. Works great and is small enough to fit into my equipment box.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Jim, let us know (or at least me) when you record the classical guitarist! I love that sound . .
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio