Sony wireless UWPC-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 3rd, 2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony wireless UWPC-1

Has anybody tried this one out yet? The salesman at my local camera store said this is a new product line by Sony.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=274576&is=REG

Thanks,
Lucas
Lucas Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just purchased this item yesterday...based on a recommendation from a wedding videographer...it attached directly on top of the camera which is nice...I did a quick test of it, to make sure it works,...but other than that, i'm new to all this so I don't know how to qualify its quality really. I will be testing it in a wedding tomorrow and will be able to speak more to its quality then...

one other note, i saw your other post...this unit is extremely lightweight, and slips right in to the "horn" connector on top (don't remember what its called, but where the light generally goes in)
Basem Elsokary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How did you like it?
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

So far its been great! It worked well in its first real trial during a wedding I filmed on the 4th...picked up all the vows with no problems, that was with the mic on the officiant as opposed to the groom...of course I don't have anything to compare this to as I am a relative newbie to all of this...

as for ease of use...it is incredibly easy, and mounting on top of the camera is a nice added benefit...it also has belt clips as well in those instances when you don't want to mount on the camera...

overall though, seems to be an excellent piece of equipment, incredibly small and light...and for all its worth, makes the camera look that much more professional when top-mounted...
Old July 7th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Did you have the incoming audio of the wireless on "auto" or "manual" ?
Thanks,
Lucas
Old July 7th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "auto" or "manual" for the incoming audio of the wireless...

If you mean the audio levels...I set those myself, and just adjusted the avg audio level to about -20db...

otherwise, i'm not sure what you mean, if you could please clarify...
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, What I meant was the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) in the menu, whether if you turn it on (auto) or off (manual). You said you set those yourself, adjusting the avg audio level to -20db, I guess it's in manual gain control then.

Here's a scenario. When your sound source is suddenly too loud, is it your only choice on the PD150 to adjust is to go press "Audio Level", press the wheel once or twice to select the right channel, then turn the wheels? By the time you can get all this, the sudden loud audio may be already turned back to a weak level. Is there a better/faster way to adjust audio?

I'm new with both the PD150 and the Sony wireless system, so I'd like to get as much info from other shooters as possible before my next wedding shoot :)

Thanks in advance,
Lucas
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes...I had AGC turned to off, mainly because I read posts that stated keeping it on could cause fluctuations in the audio level depending on ambient noise surrounding the mic...and as you stated,...when I had audio "situations", I had to just press the audio level, and adjust it myself...the main instance where this was an issue was the beginning of the vows I was recording,...the bride and groom were a little low, so I adjusted the gain on those, and everything was fine from there on out...as far as I know right now, that is the only way to adjust audio, and I can see your point, that by the time i do that, the audio may have changed already...

it seems though, that if you have average settings hitting about the audio level you want, that as long as it doesn't peak too high, that you can maybe adjust this in post...again, I am just guessing on that, and wouldn't probably be the best resource our there as I've had this equipment for all of one week!

I will be shooting a couple events in the next month, so as I get more information and experience, I would be happy to stay in contact and let you know any issues or experiences I come across...
Basem Elsokary is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio