Thoughts / Experiences with MXL Mics? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
As if this needed validation... ;-)

Check this out:

http://micsupply.com/phishtapersection.jpeg
Great pic! :)
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey Lowe View Post
Thanks, Ty..
Midlothian!! Are the forsythia showing color yet?

Well your assessment is spot on. What to do.

I don't know what your skill level is with audio, but I would suggest that you redouble your efforts to get good stuff from the board. If it's a mic level vs line level thing, that can be easily corrected.

If it's a Level was fine for the first act then someone changed the house PA and mic balance and blew you out thing, then you still might be OK if, in the future, you took a prefader feed from the mixer. Prefader simply means you get the audio before it gets to any fader. If someone moves a fader, it's doesn't change your level.

Plan B: Experiment with hanging a wireless omni lav above front and center of the stage.

Congratulations, you have now exceeded the level at which only one person can do the work. Start looking for someone who can help you with the video and grip work, but who knows audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Forsythia? Naaaahhh! But at 71 and sunny, it won't be too long for the dogwoods!

Oh, if only I could get some help. Sadly, I am but a lowly stay-at-home-Dad who is trying to get this business going at a steady rate. I'm stuck being a one man show. Although, the wife and kids run the DVD preorder table for me.

Since it is mainly high school students running the board (and most of them are not trained on how to give me a proper lead), I have gotten to the point where I would just as soon plug into the board's headphone jack and adjust the input level myself. The venues that have prohibited any outside feed won't even give me that. So I am left to find some kind of solution that I can handle just in case.

The keyword for the day....experiment. I'll just have to take the time to try different things and find out what works best for me.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey Ty, Gerry and anyone else listening -

I had settled for a couple of Audio Technica AT 3031 set close to the stage for future productions. However, before I was able to purchase them, a deal was thrown my way that includes up to 5 Shure SM57s. While predominately an instrument mic, I was told that they may be good for my use as well. I can probably get three and a 100ft snake for $150 or so. Of course, this is all used equipment.

Any thoughts?

Regardless, I can't pass up the snake for $75. :)

Nevermind. I should have done my research before posting. This is not a condenser and prefers to pick up vocals at 1" to 6". Clearly not the best choice...

Last edited by Rey Lowe; March 14th, 2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #20
Inner Circle

You are correct sir!

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Me again......

What are your thoughts on the Samson C02 pairs as a starter?

I have wavered back and forth from Rode NT4s to the Samsons ($316 vs $90). The only advantage in the lower cost Samsons is that they leave me with a starter budget for a fluid head tripod and possibly a stage snake - which is not necessary, but a big time saver for set up and tear down.
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Rey,

Samson, ick.

Audix SCX-1, yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio