Voice over enhancement with Final Cut Studio 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Voice over enhancement with Final Cut Studio 2

Hi there,

I just made the voice over recording for a documentary using the voice over tool that FCP provides and a Rode NT1 mic.

The question is, wich are the parameters that I've to use to achieve the best results with FCP or Soundtrack? EQ, Compression, etc.

It's FCP or Soundtrack a good choice or should I go for something else?

I don't need to get something very pro because I did the voice (and it's not better than Donald's). I played with the EQ and the compressor but there something else? Any tip?

Thank you very much.
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Major Player

It's taken me years to get a voice sounding the way I want it and I worked in V/O's professionally 20 years ago. EQ and Compression are the hardest things to learn. Leave it alone if you don't know what your doing as you will most likely make it worse. By all means play but be warned that you may be just about to damage your v/o. Unless it really needs attention you may be best off leaving it as is.

As for parameters it is just not that simple or everyone would be mixing professionally. Don't mean to put you off, just think you are asking the impossible: To be greatly skilled without learning, a quick fix, there really is no substitute for experience in this.

What is wrong with the way it is now?

One thing you could try is to put a compressor on the main bus and then push the v/o hard into it to drive everything else down. Try 100 millisecond attack and 200 millisecond release times and a ratio of 5:1 and then keep boosting the v/o until you hear it pushing everything else down.

See if you can work out what I am talking about and experiment. It's like riding a bike. Unless you try it you can't do it.

Cheeers
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip Jimmy. It really helped!

I understand this is a difficult issue and requires experience. I'm video editor and I have a small background in music and audio but I'm weak on voice over so I want to learn.

I don't want to achieve the best results (since I did the voice over myself) but try to improve what I already have. I know anything I learn now it will be just the first step.

Do you know any web site (beside this one) or book that can help?

Thanks again for your answers, I really appreciate it.
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio