Microtrack II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Microtrack II

I'm looking at the Microtrack II to purchase. Although it has a few known issues, such as the "sprinkler" hiss using unbalanced 1/4" (which won't be fixed by M-Audio at this time), how does it stack up to the other low-cost recorders? Factors to include are:

1. Is the clock good, making it practical to sync audio in post?
2. Balanced inputs are quiet using phantom power?
3. Are the line level inputs quiet if plugging into an analog mixer? (I would expect the digital input to be quiet. I've read it makes a good bit bucket.)

I haven't found anything on these issues. The reviews I've seen only offer recording quality using the supplied stereo T-mic included with the recorder, which seems to be about as noisy as the others recorders under $500. Nothing is ever mentioned about trying to sync the audio to video.

Thanks!

Last edited by Doug Lange; March 5th, 2008 at 04:34 AM.
Doug Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't have experience with the new Microtrack II but I do have an older Microtrack which has been a disappointment in the reliability department.
Software glitches and compatibility with CF cards as well as wiring issues have led me to be suspicious of its recording reliability despite its attractive features and size.. Matter of fact the guy who sold me on it in the first place ended up sending back the one he had bought.
The new one has addressed some of the issues with the old one but I don't feel like spending the time to find out if it has solved the problems I was having.
As for your specific questions I don't have an answer about the clock. The most experience I have is plugging an analog mixer into the recorder and this has been a mixer by mixer adventure. Line Level is only through the 1/4 inputs while mic level can be either. External power has often been an issue which affects audio quality so overall it has been less reliable than than the Marantz 660's I bought which are not perfect either.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. A couple forum members have the Microtrack II and seem to like it. Hopefully, they will add a post detailing its use with video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio