Wireless Handheld Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Handheld Microphone

Hi,

I am complete newbie in a field of microphones so please bear with me. I am looking for a wireless handheld microphone with following criteria:

My camera: Canon HV20
Budget: 100-300 dollars
Usage: Outdoors, mainly interviewing people in close distance (fisheye very often)

I already have one microphone, not that bad, with XLR connector (I hope it is called like that) Is it possible to buy just a wireless system that would connect this microphone and my camera? If not what are the most usual combos?

Thanks for any answer, I spent today 2 hours searching net( not this board though).
Jaroslav Moravec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

That's a tough one. Below $300 the options are limited to something that you might not be happy with. Namely Azden. I still cringe at the thought of the first wireless I bought back in '99...Azden "Pro." We were interviewing a high level executive with very little time. While listening to his engaging 5 minute "on a roll" segment, I had to tell him to cut because of bad audio/static interference. It was one of the worst feelings I've ever had in my career. He could of melted the polar ice caps with the look he gave me. I'd suggest going hard wired or increasing the budget. You're doing good though by asking questions and researching. Maybe someone else has had better luck in the under $300 realm. The least expensive wireless I've seen that are worth mentioning are from Audio Technica. Two channel VHF
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wl...38b/index.html
I've only tested the AT Pro88, lav version, which is ok for the money.
We sell the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless ENG kit which contains the XLR plug on transmitter. However, it's about double the budget.
Also check options from Samson.http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...=139&brandID=1

Hope this helps,
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks a lot.

What I do not understand is how you attach all those parts together. I am talking about the Audio-Technica Pro88 model. It is clear that the antena-unit goes with camcorder but the rest? Where you put the second unit? No microphone to this set. Can I use my own and connect it to something?

Still lost, hope you will help once again..

EDIT: Ah, I see, it is just lavalier mic. Any possibility to connect handheld?

Last edited by Jaroslav Moravec; March 18th, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Major Player

In simple terms, most of the wireless units have a receiver that clips to your belt or attaches to the camera. You might have to buy an attachment, or an adapter, depending on the brand. some attach to the camera shoe mount. the transmitter is commonly hooked to your mic with a cable. the transmitter commonly attaches to a belt, or in a pocket. there are so many different possibilities of mics, they usually only include a mic with the lavaliere systems. the sennheiser g2 system, around 600 dollars, has a receiver that attaches to your camera, a belt clip style wireless lavaliere mic, and also has a small transmitter that plugs directly into an xlr microphone. you can only use one mic at a time. the g2 system seems to be a very favorable system for the budget minded, although its about double your current budget.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

It looks like the Audio Technica model I linked to has a belt pack transmitter which you could hang on the talent. Typically on their belt or in a pocket. The AT set has a wired handheld which would feed into the belt pack transmitter. It's not the most elegant solution, but hey, on the cheap it works.

The more professional plug on type transmitters are a bit more convenient as they just attach to the bottom of the mic. Kind of funny content, but here's one of our maniac customers that uses the heck out of his Sennheiser MD46 handheld w/ SKP 100 http://www.youtube.com/user/whatuneedtv
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #6
New Boot

Yes, that is exactly what I want - that Youtube clip. So the most affordable solution is Senheisser G2 system? Anything cheaper? If not I have to save some money..
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i am using 2 Audio Technica AT-88W wireless systems and never had any problems. I used them in all situations, in the city streets, indoors, in the woods, near the beach. We are doing a TV series and the station never complained that the audio quality is not at par with their $2500 systems.

if you get the AT-288W package you get both a lav and a handheld mic. you can only use 1 at a time though.
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi,
If you can afford the Sennheisers, they are what you should get.

Have you considered using a wired handheld microphone?
If you are doing mostly interviews, a wired microphone is good as it doesn't need batteries and costs much less. Then save the money to buy some Sennheisers in future.

Try to use a battery powered condenser like the AKG C1000?
It is more sensitive than a normal dynamic microphone.

Last edited by Hsien Yong; March 19th, 2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: corrections
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsien Yong View Post
Hi,
If you can afford the Sennheisers, they are what you should get.

Have you considered using a wired handheld microphone?
Yep, that is what I do. I am just tired of wires all over the place, it lacks flexibility and you have to pay attention all the time where is the cable.

B.J.Adams: How good is Audio Techica microphone, good enough for voice recording? (e.g. no singing, no music, nothing special). Where did you buy it? I always see just a wireless system without any handheld mic in a set.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #10
Major Player

Did you also took a look at the Sony UWP-C2 set?

http://www.sony.be/biz/view/ShowProd...gory=UWPseries
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #11
Trustee

Here are plug-on systems from several manufactures (there are two pages):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/9...n_Systems.html
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I've had and used both the Azden Pro and the Audio Technica. Being VHF, they are not the greatest for range and there's the chance of interference (other signals crosstalking on your channel - these typically have two channels so you have some options, but I found the Azden and AT would crosstalk on one of the possible channel combinations!), but I found both to be usable for the money. I'm actually retiring my practically new AT PRO88W set, with both lav and handheld mics, if anyone's interested PM me.

Your main challenge will be interference since it sounds like distances will be short - I ususally got 40-50 feet indoors (through a couple interior walls) with the Azden, a bit more with the AT before things started getting dicey.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I've had and used both the Azden Pro and the Audio Technica. Being VHF, they are not the greatest for range and there's the chance of interference (other signals crosstalking on your channel - these typically have two channels so you have some options, but I found the Azden and AT would crosstalk on one of the possible channel combinations!), but I found both to be usable for the money. I'm actually retiring my practically new AT PRO88W set, with both lav and handheld mics, if anyone's interested PM me.

Your main challenge will be interference since it sounds like distances will be short - I ususally got 40-50 feet indoors (through a couple interior walls) with the Azden, a bit more with the AT before things started getting dicey.
PM'ed you, looking forward to your answer.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #14
New Boot

I went through the list of products offered at B&H and found Samson the cheapest. Anyone tried it?
Jaroslav Moravec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio