DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Schoeps CMC641 vs Sennheiser MKH8040/50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/117246-schoeps-cmc641-vs-sennheiser-mkh8040-50-a.html)

Craig Irving March 18th, 2008 08:21 AM

Schoeps CMC641 vs Sennheiser MKH8040/50

Hey again. I know we've got some scattered threads all over regarding these mics, hopefully this can act as the definitive thread.

I was hoping Ty's review would've been published by now, but it seems not. I'm starting to reconsider on the MKH8050 since most people seem to think the 8040 is closer to the Schoeps CMC641. I'm also considering buying Schoeps again since I found a dealer that has it for the old purchase price and not the new MSRP. That makes it closer in cost to the MKH-8040/50.

Has anyone compared the 8040 to the 8050 for dialog/interviews and come to any conclusions about which would work better? I mostly just shoot indoors for drama-type films.

Also, people keep bringing up the handling noise and needing a good shockmount for the Sennheiser 8000 series mics, but how is the Schoeps for this? Is it possible to bring it outside and hand-hold it for interview-style shooting? I realize neither of these mics are meant for this purpose, but would the Schoeps work better than the MKH8040/50 ....assuming I had no other choice? Or should I avoid both of these mics for this sort of occasion.

Steve House March 18th, 2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 844366)
Hey again. I know we've got some scattered threads all over regarding these mics, hopefully this can act as the definitive thread.

I was hoping Ty's review would've been published by now, but it seems not. I'm starting to reconsider on the MKH8050 since most people seem to think the 8040 is closer to the Schoeps CMC641. I'm also considering buying Schoeps again since I found a dealer that has it for the old purchase price and not the new MSRP. That makes it closer in cost to the MKH-8040/50.

Has anyone compared the 8040 to the 8050 for dialog/interviews and come to any conclusions about which would work better? I mostly just shoot indoors for drama-type films.

Also, people keep bringing up the handling noise and needing a good shockmount for the Sennheiser 8000 series mics, but how is the Schoeps for this? Is it possible to bring it outside and hand-hold it for interview-style shooting? I realize neither of these mics are meant for this purpose, but would the Schoeps work better than the MKH8040/50 ....assuming I had no other choice? Or should I avoid both of these mics for this sort of occasion.

The Schoeps is also very sensitive to handling. They are both so small that just the mechanics of handholding them securely without generating a lot of noise would present a problem. Not to say you shouldn't buy one, far from it. But I wouldn't buy it for handheld interview use. If you can afford the 2 kilobucks for the Schoeps you can manage to scrape together another 200 for a mic like the EV RE50 that is purpose built for handheld reporting and interviewing and have both in your kit. Use the right tool for the job.

Craig Irving March 18th, 2008 07:17 PM

I agree. That's a good point.

I would have only used it that way on very rare occasions. But you're right, I'd be better off picking up a different mic that would handle the task properly.

Craig Irving March 31st, 2008 02:20 PM

http://www.proaudioreview.com/pages/s.0033/t.12361.html

Review of the MKH-8040.

Dan Brockett March 31st, 2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 851846)

Nice review but his tests were not especially applicable to location sound work. I am going to have to check out Ty's review to see what he has to say about it. An A/B shootout between this mic and the CMC-641 would be quite interesting.

Dan

Ty Ford March 31st, 2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 844674)
The Schoeps is also very sensitive to handling. They are both so small that just the mechanics of handholding them securely without generating a lot of noise would present a problem. Not to say you shouldn't buy one, far from it. But I wouldn't buy it for handheld interview use. If you can afford the 2 kilobucks for the Schoeps you can manage to scrape together another 200 for a mic like the EV RE50 that is purpose built for handheld reporting and interviewing and have both in your kit. Use the right tool for the job.

The cmc641 is a LOT less sensitive to handling than the 8050.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Sacha Rosen April 2nd, 2008 11:18 AM

I have not used the Sennheiser but as far as the Schoeps goes don't forget to factor in the price of a cut 1,

Ty Ford April 2nd, 2008 11:42 AM

You trying to scare him?

The cut 1 is not really necessary if you have a mixer with a high pass filter.

I have a Sound Devices 442 and cmc641. I don't have a cut 1. The high pass filter on the 442 has always been adequate.

Environment depending, it may not be necessary.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jim Andrada April 2nd, 2008 12:51 PM

Ty,

Thanks for the comment. I can understand the desirability of cutting out the low frequencies as close to the source as possible, before amplifying them, but I have great faith in my SD gear and at the price of a Cut 1 I'd have to have some real unhappiness with the result before forking over the $$$.