Should 2nd Sony UWP unit be on a different channel? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 26th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Should 2nd Sony UWP unit be on a different channel?

I have a Sony UWP unit but have just bought another to offer a few more audio options. . . . I'm filming mainly weddings. My supplier wanted to know the Channel number(66/67) of my unit when I ordered the new one because he said the new one should be on a different frequency to avoid problems. I presumed that meant obtaining the 62 channel unit but the new one that arrived today is on the same channels as the old(66/67). When I queried the supplier about it he said "no problem, simply select another frequency in the same band area".

I can see how that would work but wouldn't the better solution be to have both units on different channels as I(and he) originally envisaged?

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd say you got the right channel group.

Here's why -
* there are 24 frequencies in your group with good channel spacing, more like 80 frequencies total. Your new system should have come with a freq chart with suggested spacing, or PM me for a copy. Meaning, you have plenty of freqs to choose that won't interfere with each other.

* if you ever have an equipment failure, the rest of your gear still works together. If you ever have application for 1 transmitter 2 receivers on the same freq your gear works together.

* if you need a hand-mike or a plug-on transmitter, whatever you buy will work with both receivers.

etc.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I regularly shoot 2-camera interviews with one person miced and put receivers on both cameras. Very handy in post!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio