Setting reference level on camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:58 AM   #16
Major Player

I see. So with my marantz recorder, and assuming matched level input/outputs, I could use the reference tone from the mixer to find that unity gain and thus learn the best gain setting for that recorder.

Assuming I have the inline pads, should I keep the mic attenuation switch at 0 or -20db? Would setting it to 0 allow me to find the unity gain of the recorder, and the -20db setting just useful for exceptional circumstances when i need more headroom?
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Parker View Post
Hi,
Hopefully this question only needs a really simple reply.
I have a shure fp24 and sony dsr-250 camera. When outputting the 1khz reference levels to the camera, should I adjust the camera gain so that the levels hit 0db, or should they be hitting -12/-20db?

I don't really understand if the 1khz signal is a maximum being output from the mixer, meaning that no clipping can occur to the camera audio as long as the levels are ok on the mixer.

Thanks
Hello Brian,

Let's go back to the top. You have a camera that only accepts mic and -10 consumer level audio. Your mixer (now discontinued by Shure) only outputs pro line level. I don't know how you arrived at that combination of mixer and camera, but that's the source of your problem.

Pads are the easiest answer, or stepping up to a mixer that has mic level outputs. The only one that I spec is a Sound Devices 302. It can be set to output mic level. I think you can also plug the fp24 into the 302 so you could have as many as five inputs, should you need them. Call sound devices to verify that and find out what cable you may need. They are nice folks and are ALWAYS helpful.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio