New Lavalier Article Goes Live! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 10th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
But in truth, DPA probably has the most sane way of attaching mics. You use their adapter for 48V or their adapter for whichever wireless transmitter you have. There is absolutely no guess work, an no sound shop cutting of wires, adding power supplies, re-wiring, etc..
For all of my mics, I simply tell them what wireless it is going to be attached to, then what I get is just the mic wired ready to go. When I ordered my DPA 4063, DPA did the actual wiring, not Coffey for the Zaxcom TRX-900. There was sort of a big ordeal on that, but that was related to how Zaxcom setup the initial 900 units, and I had one of the early units. Eventually, I ended up shipping the Sanken COS-11 and DPA 4063 along with the unit back to Zaxcom so they could figure out why one worked (Sanken) and one didn't even though both were wired to spec. It turned out to be TRX900.

Anyhow I bring this up only because if you're going to use the lav with wireless equipment, it's much more convenient to have the lav setup for the equipment you are going to use rather than have extra parts that also have to get connected (or worse lost). The only down side to this is if you change equipment you might have to get the lav rewired.

Wayne
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #32
Trustee

Wayne,

Why did DPA have to do any wiring at all? They make a TRX-900 adapter #DAD3057 that fits onto the microdot connection.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/

Click on any of the adapter lines and a detialed description comes up.

BTW, with the COS-11, Coffey seems to recommend buying the wired version and having them clip it to add a connector for whichever wireless unit you'll be using. But Location Sound seems to prefer selling the COS-11 with a TA5 connector (for Lectrosonics) and an Ambient power supply, and if need be a TA5 to locking mini adapter for Senn's G2. I like the Location solution better (and Coffey will certainly do it if asked) because the Ambient power supply is smaller than the wired Sanken one, and the wired Sanken only comes in black while the TA5 version comes in other colors.

What I like about DPA is they eliminate all the wiring guess work. You get a lav with a microdot connection, and then you just pick out which DPA adapters you need.

P.S. The second to last paragraph refers to wanting the option to use the lav with both a wirelss unit or phantom power.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Why did DPA have to do any wiring at all? They make a TRX-900 adapter #DAD3057 that fits onto the microdot connection.
This wasn't available when I got my 4063 and TRX-900, and there was some discussions between DPA and Zaxcom about how things should be wired which I suspect delayed thing. Also, I'm not sure I would have wanted to use the adapter.

It's all just various schools of thought. In my mind, I don't want adapters which can (and will) get lost on set, I would prefer things to be hardwired. This of course does have drawbacks. If something happens to one of my Sanken mics wired for my Lectro units, then I can swap out mics because I have multiple 411 systems and mics wired for them. But, if something happens to the Sanken mic wired for the TRX900, I have to switch and use the DPA. I try not to use the DPA since it does sound different than the Sanken mics. I couldn't easily swap on out the mics from a Lectro unit.

So, there are advantages to the adapters especially when you are going to use the mic on multiple units or in multiple configurations.

Wayne
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
Dan,

Thank you for you excellent write up. You've done a fantastic job! I'm sure this kind of thing will be very helpful to a lot of people.

I was however looking for a wireless solution. I find a lot of the information I find on the ne tto do with this stuff quite confusing in as far as what works with what etc.

I've got the AT899 and Iwant to be buy a wireless solution. On A-T's website it seems you have to buy the mic as well. I need to buy this in a day or two (need the stuff next week) otherwise I would have waited till your next articles :)

So my question is, do you have a reccomendation for me?
Hi Shiv:

For low end wireless, it seems that the Sennheiser G2 systems and the Audio-Technica 1800 systems are the most recommended. I will be testing both, I already have the 1800 system here. I own the older Audio-Technica U100 systems and they have been very good for the money. Not quite as clear as the Lectrosonics but at a fraction of the cost too.

As far as I know, Audio-Technica only seems to sell the 1800 series on kits and they include their low cost lav in the kit price. Wouldn't hurt to have a back up capsule IMHO so I would consider the 1800 kit to go with your AT899.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Yes, I am hiring a couple of models and will have a sound mixer helping me out for the "How To Rig" article. There is nothing like it on the Internet that I have found, just a few paragraphs here and there and few snaps, but not much that is in-depth, provides step by step clear and simple instructions
Oh, boy, I can't wait for this one! You are so right about the lack of info on this subject.

Thanks so much for putting together these great articles. Fabulous work.
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #36
Major Player

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some (futile) research since reading your article. I've not slept all night!

So here what I think I'd like to buy:

A wireless set that:
1. Supports an xlr input on the transmitter side so I can use any XLR mic rather than be stuck with "theirs".
2. I need the receiver to be battery operated since I need to be in the field (literally) can won't have a wall socket.

I've found this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Diversity.html

This one sounds pretty good, but then I don't know :). AT has one as well but it needs 6 AA battries on the receiver side but more importantly, doesn't support an XLR mic on the transmitter side.

Now since My mic has an XLRM plug (I have the power box that comes with it that provides the 48v and converts to XLR) but I was wondering if:
1. There is an XMLM-XLR adapter.
2. IF there is, can I use it directly with the transmitter of this kit (WRT the 48v power).

So I'd appreciate you take on this as well as anyone else who might have already used this or similar model.

Thanks.

Shiv.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Dear Shiv,

The Sennheiser G1 and G2 support using a XLR mic as input to their transmitter. You only need to have the proper cable.

I am certain that this is probably the case with other manufacturer's units as well.

If your mic is phantom power only, then you will need the Sennheiser 500 series units, or a phantom power supply that goes between the mic and the transmitter.

In the case of the Tram TR-50, this seems to work without a battery in the Tram power supply, and without needing a phantom power supply, so it works with the Sennheiser 100 or 500 series equally well.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #38
Major Player

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your quick replies! I sure do appreciate it.

I'm look at this picture of the G2 kit
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/h...G-G2_hires.jpg

Can't find this at B&H but do on Amazon and I can have it here by the 11th.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-EW1...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

So:
1. Is that what you're talking about?
2. I don't seem to get the parts in the image. From the (XLR) looks of it, it looks like there is one transmitter and two receivers?

What about the cable from the receiver to the camera? I have a Canon XHA1. The other kits (from A-T and Sony came with the cable from receiver to camera).

With the kit above I don't need to use my mic (I could if I wanted) but I will need a cable to go from the receiver to camera right? Or is the cable at bottom- center that cable?

I've got a phantom power box for my mic but I guess I'll need a very short XLR cable to go from that box to the transmitter. If I need to be able to use my mic (just in case).

Shiv.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
This wasn't available when I got my 4063 and TRX-900, and there was some discussions between DPA and Zaxcom about how things should be wired which I suspect delayed thing. Also, I'm not sure I would have wanted to use the adapter.

It's all just various schools of thought. In my mind, I don't want adapters which can (and will) get lost on set, I would prefer things to be hardwired. This of course does have drawbacks. If something happens to one of my Sanken mics wired for my Lectro units, then I can swap out mics because I have multiple 411 systems and mics wired for them. But, if something happens to the Sanken mic wired for the TRX900, I have to switch and use the DPA. I try not to use the DPA since it does sound different than the Sanken mics. I couldn't easily swap on out the mics from a Lectro unit.

So, there are advantages to the adapters especially when you are going to use the mic on multiple units or in multiple configurations.

Wayne
Wayne, BTW, which mic are you finding cuts best with your 8040? I have a COS-11 as well and am thinking about getting another one or a DPA. I know you very kindly posted sound clips of me of all these mics. Just wondering which lav you've grown most fond of. (I remeber you saying that you mostly use the Sanken, but that might have changed ;).)
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hey Dan,

I'm look at this picture of the G2 kit
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/h...G-G2_hires.jpg

Can't find this at B&H but do on Amazon and I can have it here by the 11th.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-EW1...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

So:
1. Is that what you're talking about?
2. I don't seem to get the parts in the image. From the (XLR) looks of it, it looks like there is one transmitter and two receivers?

What about the cable from the receiver to the camera? I have a Canon XHA1. The other kits (from A-T and Sony came with the cable from receiver to camera).

With the kit above I don't need to use my mic (I could if I wanted) but I will need a cable to go from the receiver to camera right? Or is the cable at bottom- center that cable?

I've got a phantom power box for my mic but I guess I'll need a very short XLR cable to go from that box to the transmitter. If I need to be able to use my mic (just in case).

Shiv.
Dear Shiv,

The kit that you referred to, called an "ENG" model which includes two transmitters, one camera mountable and one plug-in model for another microphone. As long as you have only one receiver, you can only use one transmitter at a time. If you get a second recevier, then you can use both transmitters.

This kit includes a XLR output cable so that you can use your XLR inputs on your camera. Another cable is included if you do not have XLR inputs on your camera.

If you do not need two transmitters, you can purchase a more economical kit. Just be advised that the "ENG" kit is the most economical in the long run, if you will ever need the plug-on transmitter.

Please purchase from one of this site's sponsors. If you check, you will see that B&H's price is lower than Amazon. Just click on the "Email me a Better Price" button."

If you need to use an XLR mic for input to the transmitter, you will need another cable.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Wayne, BTW, which mic are you finding cuts best with your 8040? I have a COS-11 as well and am thinking about getting another one or a DPA.
I used the DPA mic on a bunch of interviews recently where I used the 8040 as my boom mic. We ended up using the 8040 because we liked the warmth of it over the DPA. Because I use the Deva with the mics, I have the luxury of using either source. I still tend to stick with the Sanken COS-11 for almost all of the film shoots, but that's because I use a combination of the Zaxcom and Lectro units and only have one DPA mic, which is wired for the Zaxcom wireless.

Honestly though, I would have no issue replacing the Sanken mics with DPA mics, I think both are superior lavs over a lot of other options. The other issue and Dan will hit on this in his article later, just because a lav sounds great in a wired environment, that doesn't mean it will work well with the wireless gear you own. Both the TRX900 and 411 systems come about as close to being wired as you can get (the Lectro 200 isn't shabby either). The issue of course is money (isn't it always?)... I have had to build my wireless collection over time (the 411s are about 3K with TT&L, the TRX900 4K), so you have work with what you have, which is why I still use the Sanken mics over replacing everything for DPA mics. Although I have been toying with the idea of ordering another DPA mic so I can mix & match easier.

Wayne
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #42
Major Player

Dan,

[QUOTE=Dan Keaton;857756]
The kit that you referred to, called an "ENG" model which includes two transmitters, one camera mountable and one plug-in model for another microphone. As long as you have only one receiver, you can only use one transmitter at a time. If you get a second recevier, then you can use both transmitters
[/QUOTE}.

What's a plug on transmitter?

I thought the receiver plugged onto the camera's hot shoe :)

I looked at B&H first. Could find the G2 there so I went looking elsewhere. :)

Please purchase from one of this site's sponsors. If you check, you will see that B&H's price is lower than Amazon. Just click on the "Email me a Better Price" button."

Quote:
If you need to use an XLR mic for input to the transmitter, you will need another cable.
Ok, got it now.
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #43
Inner Circle

A "Plug-on" or "Butt-Plug" transmitter is a wireless transmitter that usually plugs directly into a micrphone. It converts a regular microphone into a wireless microphone.

Also, you can use the "Butt-Plug" transmiter as another wireless transmittter with most any lavaliere microhone, if you have an XLR output on the microphone.

This is the Sennheiser unit with the plug-on or "Butt Plug" transmitter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...00_Series.html

This set costs less since it does not have the "Butt Plug" transmitter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...00_Series.html

Here is the cable you need if you want to use an XLR mic as input to the Sennheiser 100/500 series transmitters

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...aded_Male.html

The Sennheiser receiver can plug into your existing 1/8" microphone input, or to your XLR input. Two separate cables are provided, one for each option.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #44
Major Player

Dan,

Thanks for the links and explanation.

Ok, I get the "Butt-plug" concept (however, I must admit I always thought it was something completely different :)).

No actually that's the one thing I got from the start. That's a transmitter. The other two also look like transmitters, so what I don't get is where it the receiver and does the receiver mount on the camera's hot shoe?

The first link you mention in your last post if the item I've been looking at. The description totally confuses me:

<quote>
Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier and Plug-On Bundle with EK100G2 Receiver, SKP100G2 Plug-On Transmitter, SK100G2 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone (A 518-554 MHz)
</quote>

A camera mountable wireless lav is not what I want. :) I want a camera mountable (battery operated) wireless receiver. Now when I look at the features I know what I'm getting but then the picture confuses me.

So if I want:
1. A Wireless microphone set
2. Comes with transmitter and lav mic
3. Comes with camera mounted (AA battery operated) receiver
4. Comes with a plug-on (which is a transmitter) thus allowing me to use any XLR mic as a wireless mic. if needed
5. Comes with a cable that allows me to hook the receiver to my camera's XLR inputs.

Then this is it (albeit an entry level model)?
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Dan,

Thanks for the links and explanation.

Ok, I get the "Butt-plug" concept (however, I must admit I always thought it was something completely different :)).

No actually that's the one thing I got from the start. That's a transmitter. The other two also look like transmitters, so what I don't get is where it the receiver and does the receiver mount on the camera's hot shoe?

The first link you mention in your last post if the item I've been looking at. The description totally confuses me:

<quote>
Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier and Plug-On Bundle with EK100G2 Receiver, SKP100G2 Plug-On Transmitter, SK100G2 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone (A 518-554 MHz)
</quote>

A camera mountable wireless lav is not what I want. :) I want a camera mountable (battery operated) wireless receiver. Now when I look at the features I know what I'm getting but then the picture confuses me.

So if I want:
1. A Wireless microphone set
2. Comes with transmitter and lav mic
3. Comes with camera mounted (AA battery operated) receiver
4. Comes with a plug-on (which is a transmitter) thus allowing me to use any XLR mic as a wireless mic. if needed
5. Comes with a cable that allows me to hook the receiver to my camera's XLR inputs.

Then this is it (albeit an entry level model)?

By "Camera Mounted Wireless Lav", means a camera mounted wireless microphone receiver, in other words, a camera mounted receiver.

As you already know, the lavaliere microphone connects to the wireless transmitter and is not attached to the camera.

The Sennheiser 100/500 units include a optional bracket that can be attached to the camera shot. This is just a bracket to hold the wireless receiver in place. It is provided in case you want that option.

Yes, Your choice makes sense.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio