DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New Lavalier Article Goes Live! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/118733-new-lavalier-article-goes-live.html)

Phil Bambridge May 2nd, 2008 04:07 AM

I wish I could have been there to hear the recordings with my own ears.

The DPA 4061 sounds great. It's got that close, intimate presence quality to it, it seems to block out virtually all the room tone. But having listened to the samples on and off since the article went live, I'm wondering whether a bit of room tone is actually appropriate. I suppose I could use a boundary mic or something to capture and then lay on as much as I wanted- easier to add than subtract when audio is concerned, yes?

The DPA 4071 I was less keen on. To my ears, ears that I'm sure will be derided, it was very close to the much much cheaper AT 899. Since I'm thinking about getting the AT 1821 set (dual channel receiver, twin body pack transmitters, and two AT899cw mics), there wouldn't be much point getting something that has a similar sound.

Though the 4071 seems to have more accessories that I'd have use for- particularly the fluffy windshield. So, to Dan, or anyone who's used them- could I use the 4071 accessories on a 4061? I can see the length is different, but is the diameter, which I suppose must be the deciding factor.

Also, would I not be better off with the DPA 4060, with the higher sensitivity? I figure I can always lower gain on the transmitter, but my recorder of choice is the Tascam HD-P2, and that gets a bit noisy when I push the gain up. Then, if I'm right, the only thing I lose is that the 4061 has higher maximum SPL, but even if used for singing, or scenes with shouting, am I likely to hit 134dB?

Dan Brockett May 2nd, 2008 10:48 AM

Hi Phil:

Interesting you say that, I still hear a decent amount of room tone in the samples of the 4061. Definitely easier to add than subtract.

All of th DPA accessories are add-on extras, including the fluffy windscreen. Since you are in the U.K., you need to contact the distributer in the U.K. to determine how the mic is packaged there. In the U.S., they have accessories kits or you can buy them individually. It's kind of confusing honestly, I would contact your local distributer and clarify what it what and which accessories are available.

I had no problems with the sensitivity of the 4061.

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bambridge (Post 870874)
I wish I could have been there to hear the recordings with my own ears.

The DPA 4061 sounds great. It's got that close, intimate presence quality to it, it seems to block out virtually all the room tone. But having listened to the samples on and off since the article went live, I'm wondering whether a bit of room tone is actually appropriate. I suppose I could use a boundary mic or something to capture and then lay on as much as I wanted- easier to add than subtract when audio is concerned, yes?

The DPA 4071 I was less keen on. To my ears, ears that I'm sure will be derided, it was very close to the much much cheaper AT 899. Since I'm thinking about getting the AT 1821 set (dual channel receiver, twin body pack transmitters, and two AT899cw mics), there wouldn't be much point getting something that has a similar sound.

Though the 4071 seems to have more accessories that I'd have use for- particularly the fluffy windshield. So, to Dan, or anyone who's used them- could I use the 4071 accessories on a 4061? I can see the length is different, but is the diameter, which I suppose must be the deciding factor.

Also, would I not be better off with the DPA 4060, with the higher sensitivity? I figure I can always lower gain on the transmitter, but my recorder of choice is the Tascam HD-P2, and that gets a bit noisy when I push the gain up. Then, if I'm right, the only thing I lose is that the 4061 has higher maximum SPL, but even if used for singing, or scenes with shouting, am I likely to hit 134dB?

Chris Swanberg May 2nd, 2008 11:22 PM

Field mixer reviews

This one one I am anxiously awaiting. I know this is a little off topic.... but it would be great if you could cover the field from about $500 and up, instead of starting higher which easily gets you into accepted "pro" gear.

I'm anxious to know how the noise floor is in some of the newer "prosumer" stuff, as well as build, utility etc.

I know you'll do your usual excellent job. You perform a great service to us all. Thanks.

Chris

Paul Czapiga May 6th, 2008 10:41 PM

Wow, this thread rocks. I have little experience with sound recording and have been trying to decide on a hardwired lav to use with my Canon XH-A1. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with a COS-11x. Your tests and samples are a goldmine. Thanks Dan!

Dan Brockett May 7th, 2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 871388)
This one one I am anxiously awaiting. I know this is a little off topic.... but it would be great if you could cover the field from about $500 and up, instead of starting higher which easily gets you into accepted "pro" gear.

I'm anxious to know how the noise floor is in some of the newer "prosumer" stuff, as well as build, utility etc.

I know you'll do your usual excellent job. You perform a great service to us all. Thanks.

Chris

Chris:

Do you mean for the wireless units? I think that will be my next hardware test, I already have the Audio Technica 1800 series waiting to be tested. If you are talking about wireless, then yes, $500.00 is the cutoff. I will be testing units that are $500.00 and up (way up, once you get into Lectro 400 and Zaxcom territory ;-)

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Brockett May 7th, 2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Czapiga (Post 873251)
Wow, this thread rocks. I have little experience with sound recording and have been trying to decide on a hardwired lav to use with my Canon XH-A1. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with a COS-11x. Your tests and samples are a goldmine. Thanks Dan!

Hi Paul:

Glad the article was of help to you in making up your mind which lav will do the trick for you. The COS-11x is an excellent mic, you will love it.

Dan