Boompole Holder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I was only referring to light stands that most people in video land would know. Sorry, I didn't realize you're a film guy!

I've lived in Los Angeles for a while working as a VFX & DI Producer and I'd drive past Mole-Richardson all the time on La Brea. I only went in once or twice looking for specific things. I've been on only two indie film sets as a VFX consultant so I really didn't concern myself with the grip department. Next time maybe I will check them out if I have time. As you can tell I'm mainly a post monkey and producer now but occasionally I do get involved with production once in a while and still remember a few things in my old age!

Take care,
Doug
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Okamoto View Post
I was only referring to light stands that most people in video land would know. Sorry, I didn't realize you're a film guy!

I've lived in Los Angeles for a while working as a VFX & DI Producer and I'd drive past Mole-Richardson all the time on La Brea. I only went in once or twice looking for specific things. I've been on only two indie film sets as a VFX consultant so I really didn't concern myself with the grip department. Next time maybe I will check them out if I have time. As you can tell I'm mainly a post monkey and producer now but occasionally I do get involved with production once in a while and still remember a few things in my old age!

Take care,
Doug
I am not a working grip per se, but I own a three ton grip and lighting package and I shoot BTS on a lot of features and television so you learn a lot from the grips. Gripping is a highly underrated job, people in production take them for granted but the good keys are mechanical geniuses. I love grip gear, it's what lets you do all of the cool things in production.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Major Player

thanks everyone for the help, I decided to get the ATS-RAM when it comes in stock.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Major Player

Cheap and it works

Tonight I was looking for something else and picked up an Attwood Sure Grip Wire Form Rod Holder, 5 degree Rod Holder, 4 inch stem from Wal Mart. Package says the mounting post and wing nut are stainless steel.

It comes with a wing nut and aluminum mounting bracket to screw to the side of your boat... that part is triangular with 3 mounting holes about 1 19/32" inches apart. You probably won't need those, but the end will fit in the c-stand clamp.

At a cost of $12.45, it looks extremely close to but not exactly the same as most $29.95 boom pole holders I see on ENG or filmmaking sites.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Boom Buddy

This site may be of interest.

BOOM-BUDDY
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Boom Buddy

I've got a Boom Buddy but I actually don't think it's that good. Mine cost me about £50-55.

When used on top of a Manfrotto light stand and with my Rode boom pole you have to tighten it really hard and balance the weight (hanging something off the back end of the boom pole, extending it quite a way backwards) or the pole just slowly lowers itself, even with a light NTG-3 on the end.

Sure it beats holding the pole/having someone have to do that for sit down interviews etc. but there must be a better way! (yes I use Senny G2 radio mics as well)
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi:

I am serious, I think anything over $10.00 for a boom pole holder is a waste of money. The one that I bought at WalMart is IDENTICAL to the cheaper $58.00 one on the B&H website link above. It is rubber coated to protect the boom pole.

Dan
Looking at the BH listing, I'm sure that $45 of that $58 is for the grip head that's included.
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #23
Regular Crew

For Andy:

I know the guy who makes Boom Buddies, Keith Hicks at Fleetwood Films, and I've told him about your experience. Can you email him via the Boom Buddy website and he'll see you right. Must say I've had no problems..perhaps you've got a rogue one.

Nick.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #24
Trustee

I use an avenger stand on wheels, a grip head and the famous fishing pole holder bolted on to a small piece of plywood. The plywood slides into the grip head and is tightened down. works great.
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video & Photography
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #25
Inner Circle

To Nick, Thanks!
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:51 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Boom Buddy

OK, found some time to play around with this some more without the heat of the moment stuff going on.

My Boom Buddy will lock up pretty tight and seems to be OK... as long as the boom pole is reasonably balanced weight wise....it seems I was just was not using the sort of force needed before (I was too careful with new gear maybe?).

It also fits well on top of my Manfrotto lighting tripods nice and firmly, as long as it's pushed down as far as it will go so the larger diameter part of the stand spigot fills the bottom of the Boom Buddy tube - and then you tightened with the thumb screw onto the narrower part.

So I'm good to go and can sack the boom pole guy that I never had! :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio