Audio For Wedding - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 11th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio For Wedding - Help!

I don't know how I wind up in these situations, but I do.

My stepfather volunteered me for a wedding. I've never shot a wedding and honestly, I'm not interested in doing it for a living, but if I don't do this, then I'll be a poop.

I've tried to explain that I don't have a wireless mic to him. He ain't having it.

So, I was hoping that someone might help me figure out how to get the best sound with the equipment that I have. I have an XL-1 camera with the usual on board mic that comes with the package. This is it.

The set up is a large auditorium (church).

Tonight is the rehearsal dinner. I'm actually pretty nervous considering this is something I know little about.

*whimpers in corner*

Kel
Kelly Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC
RENT A WIRELESS MIC

I'm not kidding. Do it. Otherwise you will have to stick your camera 3 feet from the B&G to get the audio from the vows, and that's probably not going to happen.
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #3
New Boot

LOL Dylan

I will try to find one today in time for the ceremony. Thanks for the advice. :)

Kel
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Kelly,

If it's in a large venue that has a PA system they will be using, you may be able to get decent audio from the control board. Hate to suggest cassette but it would at least be a cheap (and readily available) alternate source for audio. You would sure be better off recording with something better than cassette (another DV cam? MiniDisc? VCR or VHS VCR) but.... In a bind both time and money wise, your options are not great.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Kelly,

Also a good chance they HAVE a wireless if it's a big place with a PA. Might be able to sweet talk them into using it. Check at the rehersal.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you don't have a wireless and can't rent one, the one option is to hide a shotgun or a unidirectional mic somewhere in the altar where it will be fairly close to the wedding couple during the vows. Use a long cable (balanced XLR if possible) to the camera.

Perhaps the church can loan a wired mic?

If all else fails, then the only hope is that your stepfather's expectations aren't too high and that having only ambient audio is OK. Just make sure your name's not anywhere on the tape... :-)

By the way, don't feel too bad. This past weekend my brother handed me his Hi8 camera to shoot his stepdaughter's wedding as what little was left of the evening's twilight faded. And the ceremony had just started. Too late to figure out where the white balance control was, too.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys for all your replies. I think I have it figured out. Keyword being "think".

Anyway, I always appreciate all the help I get here. *blows kisses* :-)

Kel
Old July 12th, 2003, 04:11 AM   #8
Wrangler

Kelly, this thread might be of use to you. I got volunteered fora wedding once too...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...teered+wedding

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio