How Long to Record Room Tone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 12th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #1
Trustee

How Long to Record Room Tone?

I am recording interviews and in some cases will only use a lav. But I can use a boom mic later on to record room tone. If the interview lasts 30mins, how long should I subsequently record room tone for? Can I just loop it?

Any general tips on room tone recording an mixing it in during post production?

Thanks much as always.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hello Peter,

Room tone is not just the sound in a room. It's also the sound of the mic, the preamp, and all circuits that contribute to the sound. You can't get proper tone by recording in a room with a different mic than you used to record.

A room doesn't necessarily have just one tone. Each setup in a room may have different tone based on the acoustics of the room and the noise sources, e.g. placement of HVAC ducts, lighting buzz, outside noise getting in through a window, coming in through a doorway.

Plug in a mic, walk around with it and listen to the sound field change. You'll hear what I mean.

How much? Usually 30 seconds is plenty.

See you at NAB.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio