Connecting Studio Monitors to my PC - Need Help :) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Orberg View Post
You'll have to forgive me because I'm getting confused about what everybody is saying. Here are the features that i am looking for:

- Be able to plug in my studio monitors
- Be able to plug in a microphone to record audio
- Be able to monitor the sound coming through my computer

What kind of product do I need? I started off thinking I needed a new sound card, then a mixer, then adaptors now I don't know what to think! :)

Can anyone clarify things for me? I'm trying to accomplish those objectives at the top. I am currently using the onboard audio for my motherboard, so i don't have a real sound card at all. I would need to connect a device through firewire or usb whichever is better. I have these studio moniotors:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo

Thank you for your help! :)
You left out something as well - some way to conveniently control the monitor's level as you work. While your speakers have volume controls, they're on the back panel and would be a real PITA to use for routine volume adjustments. One advantage of using a mixer or a monitor controller like the Mackie Big Knob is having a fingertip volume control on your desk rather than having to use the mouse in your software.

You COULD do all that you list with a) a USB microphone for recording, and b) an adapter "Y" cable with a 1/8" mini stereo plug on one end to plug into your computer's audio output jack and splitting the stereo output to 2 mono L&R TS 1/4 plugs to go into your monitors. Adding an external interface would give you better quality sound circuits in general, more convenience in connecting both different microphones and your monitors, and the ability to take advantage of balanced signal connections into your monitors (depending on your interface choice). Adding a mixer would buy you more control, perhaps better mic preamps, and more flexibility to configure your studio with different signal routings for various projects.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Okay - so from your reply I am thinking that I am going to go with a mixer. With a mixer, I will be able to connect it directly to my computer via firewire/usb, change the levels of my studio monitors, record audio by plugging in mics to the mixer, have all computer audio go through studio monitors.

If I am correct, that is what I would like to go with. Now I guess I'm at the hard part. Mixers. I looked through B&H and there are TONS of these mixers. I really have no idea of what kind I should be looking for. My budget is under $300 preferably, but I am open to hear about any recommendations!!

Thank you to everyone who has posted! I really appreciate it! :)
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Okay - so from your reply I am thinking that I am going to go with a mixer. With a mixer, I will be able to connect it directly to my computer via firewire/usb, change the levels of my studio monitors, record audio by plugging in mics to the mixer, have all computer audio go through studio monitors.

If I am correct, that is what I would like to go with. Now I guess I'm at the hard part. Mixers. I looked through B&H and there are TONS of these mixers. I really have no idea of what kind I should be looking for. My budget is under $300 preferably, but I am open to hear about any recommendations!!

Thank you to everyone who has posted! I really appreciate it! :)
Some mixers include the interface so they can connnect directly to your computer but generally speaking they're separate items and you need BOTH components, the interface and the mixer.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #19
Regular Crew

So for my budget, what do you suggest?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
So for my budget, what do you suggest?
That's a really tall order - there's a jillion choices out there.

I'd say your first priority should be the interface and then think about whether you need a mixer. I've had good results from my Echo Audio firewire interface. http://echoaudio.com/ I have the 8-channel AudioFire 8 - that's a bit over your budget but there's a 4-channel version and a 2-channel version that are both within it. The two channel doesn't offer level inputs but Mackie has a couple of new mixers - the 402VLZ3 and 802VLZ3 -that look interesting that would provide them. http://mackie.com/products/402vlz3/
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM   #21
Regular Crew

What about this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html

Would this accomplish what I would like?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
What about this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html

Would this accomplish what I would like?
I don't have any direct experience so I can't give it a review pro or con but it looks like it would do what you need.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio