AT899 - accessories and power supply at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AT899 - accessories and power supply

Hello chaps.

I am very tempted by the AT1821 wireless kit, comprised of the dual channel camera-mountable (though not on mine it won't be) receiver, two bodypack transmitters, and two 899cw mics. I should wait until Dan B gets his review up, but given my price range, it's that or the Sennheiser, and on sound quality, neither seems to have the major edge, reportedly, but the AT wins out on features.

Anyway. When bought on its own, the AT899 seems to come with quite a few accessories, including a multitude of mounts, and the AT8537 P48 power supply (and XLR adaptor)- I think this was the one Dan's review would have used, with the low cut filter on it? The AT webpage for it is..well, see for yourself. It's a bit low on specs.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/el...7e7/index.html

The version that comes with the wireless kit is the cw variant, and is wired as a 4 pin Hirose. This appears to also be referred to as the UniPak connector by AT themselves.

So. To people who have the 899cw, are you using the AT8539 in wired applications? Is that the one I want? It specifically mentions other models, but it does mention "any Wireless Essentials microphone terminated with 4-pin locking connector". Secondly, what actually comes with it in terms of mounts, etc., when bought as part of the kit? And thirdly, do AT sell a proper, fluffy windscreen for it, as I can imagine a lot of the time I go wireless, it's because I'm outdoors.

Thanks in advance!
Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My AT1821 kit turned up today. And I can certainly answer my own question about the bundled accessories. Basically you get everything you see in black in the accessories photo found on the product page. Oh, except to add that there's a cord to thread through the hole in the metal plate that goes with the magnetic clip, primarily designed to wear under your top, so the magnet clip is attracted to it through the fabric of your clothes.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bambridge View Post
And thirdly, do AT sell a proper, fluffy windscreen for it, as I can imagine a lot of the time I go wireless, it's because I'm outdoors.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know if AT has one, but there are theses from Rycote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jack.

Yes, I saw the Rycote ones when browsing their site for something else. And for Rycote, they're not ridiculously expensive.

I bought a DPA 4061 recently (not arrived yet), and with that, having spoken to their UK distributor who advised it was do-able*, ordered the fluffy cover, DUA0571, which seems to integrate the wire windscreen that they sell, with the long-fibre overjacket- more in keeping with the standard Rycote zepelin approach than Rycote's own offering- of course, in fairness, Rycote are aiming for a one-size-fits-most approach.

Given the price of the Rycote option, I may well get it and try it out, and perhaps record some with and without samples for people to judge for themselves.

* "do-able", since it is designed for the 4071, which is a very slightly different size. Fingers crossed, eh?
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Phil,

How do you like the AT mic?

Regarding the Rycote lavalier fluffies, the white ones are nice around Christmas time, because they look like little fluffy snowballs.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The DPA 4061 turned up today. Gosh. It's lovely.

I got it in the IMK4061 kit, aimed towards miking instruments. I got more with that that was listed in the contents from DPA's site. Specifically I wasn't expecting the belt clip version of the microdot-XLR (P48) adaptor, or the vampire clip mount. Actually, the belt clip is optional, you can unscrew the adaptor and pop it off. It's not comfortably to wear, as the angle of the clip digs in a bit. I first tried it out on the wired connection, and for some reason was whispering...and it caught it so cleanly. This was doubly pleasing, as I had been a bit worried about this "reduced sensitivity" compared with the DPA 4060, and now I know it simply isn't necessary for me. Slightly disappointed I did not get the high-boost cap with it, I think that might have application for mounting under wardrobe. You can't get them singly, only in packs of five, and that's £47! Compared with the AT899, it's a bit smaller, the cable is thinner and more flexible.

In the photos, the pic of the mics has the AT on the left, without the element cover, and the DPA on the right, with the soft-boost cover. The photo showing the connectors has the DPA's microdot connector on the left, and the hirose spring-locking 4 pin connector on the right.

DPA's fluffy mount (meant for the 4070/4071 but fitted, and quite securely) worked well in the moderate wind I experienced in the garden. Be interesting to compare it with the Rycotes equivalent. Yes, the white does look very cute, and moreover, since they're very large compared to the mic itself, be handy to have a white one to blend in more on light-coloured clothes.

I don't yet have the P48 XLR adaptor for the AT899cW, so I was only able to compare them properly via wireless. Firstly, the AT was much hotter. Secondly, I disliked the way the AT delivered more distant sound, and by distant, I include the swish sounds of my trouser legs rubbing together as I walked. I'm not sure of the best way to describe it, but certainly it wasn't what my ears heard. The DPA on the other hand picked up someone using a circular saw a street or two over and sounded exactly like it did to my ears. It did a very passable job picking up my mother when I was stood quite close to her- in a pinch, for an interview anyway, I'd have been able, if not happy, to have used it. I might be wrong, but the AT seemed more sensitive to the direction my face was pointed in, and what I felt was a sensible level for the gain on my recorder turned out to trigger the limiter to kick in when I looked down at the mic and spoke.

I'm going to hook both mics up to myself and make use of the dual channel receiver, so I can capture the same sound at the same time, and post the results. Does anyone have any requests for me to try anything in particular with them?
Attached Thumbnails
AT899 - accessories and power supply-img_0387.jpg   AT899 - accessories and power supply-img_0384.jpg  

Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio