What's best for field audio? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Hey Ty - that book of yours? Da Bomb. I saw the Reality & the Civility - I didn't see any Ego - just darn good advice in a tight little pocket book. Keeping this with my HVX Bible - and yeah... It's that good. Thankx!

R. L. Appling
R. L. Appling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #32
Inner Circle

R. L..

Thanks a bunch! That'll keep me flyin' as I head out to the SuperFresh to do the weekly shopping. I'm all a flutter. :)

May I use any or all of your post up on my website?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Okay - I'm buying the MKH 60. I listened to the samples on the web and one post was just great where it demoed just how rich and exciting the sound could be - like an "Action Movie" I think the reviewer claimed - I agree. Thats going on the boom.

I bought a Rode NTG1 for mounting on the HVX (which has got to be better than the sound Panny provides)

Also - for the dedicated sound techs (TY & David) when a producer owns his own gear what reduction in day rates (if any) should be expected? I have been quoted a price of $450 day w gear. But what is reasonable with my own?

And yes - if it helps - feel free to use the compliment Ty, anyway you like for promotional purposes.
R. L. Appling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Okay - I'm buying the MKH 60. I listened to the samples on the web and one post was just great where it demoed just how rich and exciting the sound could be - like an "Action Movie" I think the reviewer claimed - I agree. Thats going on the boom.

>>>>> You made a good choice.

I bought a Rode NTG1 for mounting on the HVX (which has got to be better than the sound Panny provides)

Also - for the dedicated sound techs (TY & David) when a producer owns his own gear what reduction in day rates (if any) should be expected? I have been quoted a price of $450 day w gear. But what is reasonable with my own?

$450 for an 8? a 10? a 12?, you buying lunch - and not just pizza or "health bars"? dinner afterwards? In what city? How much travel do I need to do to get there?

>>>>> No reduction for me. I'd usually rather use my own gear anyway. I know it and I know it works. Sometimes we combine mine and their gear (if they have any) and if it makes for better sound. I turned down a paid audio job for a friend last year because he wanted me to use his gear (and it was a 6AM call that I would have had to leave the house by 4AM for) At that hour, trying to work with gear you don't know is a recipe for problems, even if it does work well. I always use my gear when I work for one PBS client, even though they have gear, because theirs is sort of beat up.

And yes - if it helps - feel free to use the compliment Ty, anyway you like for promotional purposes.
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I like the MKH-60 a lot.

It is my preferred mic for outdoor locations.

For indoors, in a reflective room, I will use the Schoeps CMC-641.

The MKH-60 has a built-in infrasonic filter which helps a lot.

I do not have to worry about handling noise as much with the MKH-60 as I do with the CMC-641.

But remember, one single mic is not going to be the best for all situations.

What is great about the MKH-60 is that it excels in many situations.

You made a great choice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio