Sonic Fire necessary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Sonic Fire necessary

I usually cut music variations with a standard crossfade matching beats and tempo. Im wondering what advantage can sonic fire offer editing wise. I know the music selection is huge, but other than this?
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
I usually cut music variations with a standard crossfade matching beats and tempo. Im wondering what advantage can sonic fire offer editing wise. I know the music selection is huge, but other than this?
SonicFire works by cutting and replicating sections according to the 'rules' of muscial structure, which means you can expand or shrink a piece to length, change its tempo, with their "layering" concept in their more recent releases you can even do a certain amount of remixing, changing instrumentation and such. The software is pretty inexpensive now - I keep getting offers of the sort "buy two disks and get the software free" so it's not like it'll cost a fortune to experiment and see if it works for ya. But while it can incorporate regular wav files into the track you're building, the special features requires the music to have internal markers added which means the fancy editing is only available with their music library.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I can recommend it too - I've used it on a couple of productions, and very happy with the quality and selection of tracks.
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Major Player

ok thanks, so i would have to buy into their collections only. Will check it out.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've been running SF for over 12months. I bought it because you can score non copyright music for your programs. Also they have many titles by studio orchestras, can't beat real musicians.

With their multi-layered titles, you can mute, edit and remix any instruments or sections as you like. Possible to sit there all night, believe me.

Took me a bit to get to grips with SF but it is worth it and they have just amazing support. The disc 'News Flash' wasn't very well mixed somehow, they agreed, took it off the shelves, remixed and repressed it and sent the first copy.

If you buy SF version 4.5 now, there's a free upgrade to version 5 in June.
It has new features to help you find the right music for your project.

Two of the three owners are pilots, can't beat that either :D
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
ok thanks, so i would have to buy into their collections only. Will check it out.
One of the nice features is you don't need to buy all the disks in order to locate the music you want. The software catalogs all of their releases in its database so you can scan the descriptions to pick out possibles, then it will dl track previews vie the net for you to listen to. If you've found a 'keeper' you can either order the full disk it's on or if there's just one or two cuts on a particular disk you think you'll ever use, you can buy them as individual downloadable tracks.

By the way, according to their website if you buy one multiplayer disc @$99, the software is free.
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Major Player

sweet thanks, they got a big collection and they sound good. Better than budgeting for a composer.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio