Captured audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Captured audio

Hi guys, i have a footage shot with canon A1 using two mics from two different source but when i captured with adobe premier i only get one track but can hear both mics. is it possible to seperate those tracks. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Is the "one track" that you have (with both mics on it) a stereo or a mono track? Assuming it's stereo with one mic panned all the way left and the other all the way to the right, you'll just have to split the track into two mono tracks. I don't know Premier, so I can't give you specifics about how to do that in your application, but there should be a simple way to do it.

Now, if the one track you have is mono, or if both mics are heard on each of the two stereo channel, then I guess you are out of luck.

- Martin
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry i wasn't clear but one of the mic is ocktava mk12 and the other is line at mic level but when i a captured it in premier i got one track with two sounds. i want to split them so i can i use one as main track and the other as a backround to give it a live shoot feeling. thank you and any help will be great.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
i got one track with two sounds
Again: a single audio track can be mono or multi-channel (such as stereo). Which one is it in your case?

- Martin
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Major Player

The ocktave is mono and the second one is stero
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Kiflom,

You said, "(the other is line at mic level)"

I don't understand.

You said, "but when i a captured it in premier i got one track with two sounds. i want to split them so i can i use one as main track and the other as a backround to give it a live shoot feeling. thank you and any help will be great."

Provided you recorded the way you wanted to, you probably have two mono tracks. The Oktava MK012 and whatever else you were using.

Premier imports the two tracks from your camera. Somewhere in Premiere you should be able to adjust each track individually. May I sugest you read the Premier manual?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I think there are a few ways to do this. Here is how I do it:
I drag the audio down to the timeline twice, once to track one and once to track two. I then use the audio effect "sum to left" on the first track and "sum to right" on the second track. This puts both mics in Stereo, but on different tracks so that you can adjust levels as needed.
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Ben,

Perhaps you misspoke when you say you use a "sum" function to create the two tracks? Summing to left would mean it is taking both right and left and combining them into the left channel. Summing to right would take both tracks and combine to the right channel.

The function in Adobe Premier to look for is in the "Clip" menu, "Audio Options", "Breakout to Mono". That breaks your stereo audio file into two mono audio files. Then your Sequence has to have at least 2 mono audio tracks. Then when you drag a clip into the timeline, left would go to one track and right to another.

Also check out the "Source Channel Mapping" in the same menu. This allows you to treat your stereo track as two mono tracks.

I do wish that Adobe had chosen to treat captured stereo files like all the other NLEs do. In the other NLEs, files are generally set up so that left automatically goes to track 1 and right to track 2 (or whatever track pair you select). You then treat each track accordingly. Adobe's use of a stereo track that only goes to "Audio 1", for example, is confusing. But there are these ways around it.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yeah, I may have misspoke, I'm not at my computer at the moment, but the effect may be Sum "from" left/right, and not Sum "to" left/right. What ever it is, it takes one side (left or right) and puts it on both sides. If you just split out to two mono tracks, I think the right would still be in the right channel and left in the left channel??...mabey???.... Anyway I like to have both mics coming from the left and right, not true stereo, but it just sounds weird to me to have one person talking in the left channel and one in the right. I guess though it really depends on what ones goal is.
Ben Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio