BOOM poles.... a low level perspective - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Shahryar: My boom is indeed a 110CC in the Avalon Aluminum line. Not sure where to find it on B&H's site as I bought mine quasi-locally up here in Canada.
Thanks Shaun. I wonder what the difference is between the 110CC in the Avalon version you have vs. the (non-Avalon?) 110CC that B&H photo has. The seller of the used K-Tek 110CC I'm considering had given me the B&H Photo link for the product (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Boompole.html) as reference so I assume that's the one he's selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Edit: For the record - as much as a LOVE my Avalon, if I were buying again, I would look seriously at the Loon Boom Steve mentions. You won't go wrong with either solution though.
I'm sure both the Loon Boom and the Panamic (that's been mentioned recently by Baldwin but earlier by others) are superior, but the price is quite a bit up there for both. For where I am in DV journey, I think I've ultimately decided to grab either a Rode or the K-Tek.

The Rode (Rode | BOOMPOLE f/NTG-1/NTG-2/VIDEOMIC | BOOMPOLE | B&H Photo) comes in at $149.99 new at B&H
There's also a Rode mini boom pole too that's $129:
rode boompole | B&H Photo Video
That goes to 81"

(btw - have the prices gone up? I remember back in May 2007 I was looking at the Rode Boom Pole and it was $72 on B&H Video's site).

If I do go with the Rode, I wanted to make this note for myself from Baldwin's latest post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin Li View Post
...The foam padding at the bottom of the pole isn't the most sensible of materials to cut down handling noise, either, as any little squeeze transfers its way up...
I'll remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
...Also recommend the Loon coiled jumper cable to connect the boom to your mixer if you're working from a bag ENG style.
....[/url]
Could you elaborate more on this? I'm not sure if this (or something like this) would be available for the K-TEK or Rode Boom pole I will probably go with? Is this something for me to get if I'm planning on recording to a Hi-MD (I own a Sony MZ-RH1). I think I'd like to have versatility to take the sound from the boom pole either to the XH-A1 or my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD (I don't have a mixer). Sorry if this is a newbie question...

Also, I appreciate the comments on the mounts. I think I finally understand boom poles a bit more so now I'm trying to figure out what exactly to look for in mounts. I saw that Baldwin and Steve use the Rycote one - Thanks Baldwin for the heads up if I'm buying this used what to look out for. (btw - In buying the used Boom pole, is there anything I should look out for too? Although I do find the seller to be pretty trustworthy so I think he maintained his stuff well and I'm not too worried).

I was eying the K-Tek GPS (K-Tek | K-GPS - Universal Microphone Suspension Mount | K-GPS ) because the seller of the boom pole I'm considering is also selling this. So I thought it would be nice to get both in one shot. However, at $155 new, it seems pretty pricey and I assume the used price wouldn't be terribly lower. The Invision is under $70 I believe on B&H Photo. I remember once the Rode shockmount was recommended as well and I believe that's also fairly inexpensive.

Would the K-Tek be perhaps over kill for someone at my hobbyist level? (please say yes).
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #32
Major Player

A little update on my situation. Much as I wanted a carbon fiber pole, the price exceeded my means.... and along the way I picked up a nice aluminum Gitzo pole that was internally wired.

It makes me think my trepidations about an aluminum pole were due to the fact it was a painter's pole and not something specifically made for sound use. The Aluminum Gitzo is a terrific pole and I don't experience the handling noises I had (have) with my painter's pole.

Or maybe, I'm just getting better.

Anyway I withdraw my complaint about aluminum poles. I'm more experienced and smarter now.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #33
Inner Circle

My first pole was a Gitzo. They are nice poles.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
I'll remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
...Also recommend the Loon coiled jumper cable to connect the boom to your mixer if you're working from a bag ENG style.
....[/url]

Could you elaborate more on this? I'm not sure if this (or something like this) would be available for the K-TEK or Rode Boom pole I will probably go with? Is this something for me to get if I'm planning on recording to a Hi-MD (I own a Sony MZ-RH1). I think I'd like to have versatility to take the sound from the boom pole either to the XH-A1 or my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD (I don't have a mixer). Sorry if this is a newbie question...
The internal cabled poles have an xlr connector at the base. You plug a cable into it to connect the boom, hence the mic, to your mixer. The Loon jumper I mentioned is coiled and very flexible, extends from 18" to 5 feet. That makes it easier to keep everything tidy when holding the boom overhead while carrying the mixer in a bag at your waist ENG news team style then it would be with say a 6 foot straight XLR cable.
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
The internal cabled poles have an xlr connector at the base. You plug a cable into it to connect the boom, hence the mic, to your mixer. The Loon jumper I mentioned is coiled and very flexible, extends from 18" to 5 feet. That makes it easier to keep everything tidy when holding the boom overhead while carrying the mixer in a bag at your waist ENG news team style then it would be with say a 6 foot straight XLR cable.
Thanks for this info Steve. Still in debate on what to do, but with no used Rode Boompole out there, the price diff between the new Rode vs. my available used K-tek 100CCR is not too bad. I think I'd rather lean towards the K-tek as that seems to be the more favored Boom pole. One day later I'll get something like the Panamic or the Loon Audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio