Audio help on documentary - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
$149 at B&H?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit

CHEAP!!!! I think I need to get one! Thanks, Ty.
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Audio help on documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that a good script and a good performer are the top priorities.

For the script, I'd say keep it simple and straightforward. I'm very much of the "less is more" school of thought when it comes to voiceover. As for finding talent, do you have a community, college or public radio station near you? If so, ask around, or put up a flyer asking for help. Many of those old-school disc jockeys and news announcers have great voices and are comfortable reading into a microphone. If you're lucky, maybe you can even borrow their studio to do the recording, especially if it's a nonprofit/educational kind of documentary.

As for the recording environment, if you can't find an actual recording studio, there are other options. What you're looking for is a room that's as close to acoustically "dead," with no echoes, as you can find. Small carpeted libraries with lots of books on the shelves are great, since the irregularly shaped books act as natural acoustic baffles. A while ago, Douglas Spotted Eagle had an online tutorial about how to make a recording box out of foamcore and acoustical foam. I'm sure you could Google it and find it.

Remember to get the microphone close to your talent. A cheap mike 1.5-2 feet away from the talent, in a room with no echoes, will ALWAYS sound better than an expensive mike 3-6 feet away in a hard, echoey room.

If you are looking to invest in some equipment to help you, I have a couple of ideas:

1. Audio Technica makes a very good large diaphragm microphone, the AT2020, that does a nice job for about $99. You'll need some kind of preamp or mixer and a recorder, or if you have a camera with XLR inputs and phantom power, you can probably record right into the camera and be O.K. AT just came out with a USB version of the same mike [ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...CONDENSER.html ]
which might be just the ticket for your needs.

2. I recently picked up a Zoom H4 compact flash recorder for under $200. I'm really impressed with the quality of the built-in mikes. I've recorded some radio documentaries with this unit, and would have no hesitation using it for voiceover work as well.

One last thought: check out "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" by Jay Rose (Focal Press). It's a great primer on all things audio, including some good, practical, low budget suggestions for voiceover production.
Thanks Brian, some good practical ideas here. Script: I'll take your advice and limit VO to short intro at beginning. I want pictures to tell the story. My years of writing copy will assure a simple, concise script. Talent: Since this is a low budget non-profit project, I'm the talent. Again, years of making presentations with mics to large groups will help. Equipment: I have GL2 with XLR input, a good condenser mic W/long cable, and a walk-in clothes closet. Did find the Audio Technica a low cost possibility.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Space; June 4th, 2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: forgot title
Ed Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #33
Inner Circle

It pulls phantom power from the USB port? That's pretty cool.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Me too me too!
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Audio help on documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
It pulls phantom power from the USB port? That's pretty cool.
If I read it right, the condenser mic must be powered. No?

Ed
Ed Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Condenser mics need to be powered, yes.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Audio help with documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Condenser mics need to be powered, yes.
Thought so. Thanks for confirming Marco.

Ed
Ed Space is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio