Help, shotgun too long for blimp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Trustee

Help, shotgun too long for blimp

I've an AKG Shotgun and it's too long to fit in the blimp once I plug the XLR cable into it. Is there a shorter XLR plug? I don't know why the plug has to be so long?

Also, I was wondering how far the mic tip should be from the end of the blimp?
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Take the xlr apart and then just plug the bit with the socket and mettle bit that the socket fits in into the mic and tape around the back where the strain relief gland used to be. Then tape the wire back on it's self. That should buy you an inch of the length. As long as you have a half inch at the end you should be fine. These Rycotes can take some setting up to get right. Obsessive sound syndrome. Just keep fiddling and get the tension right on the elastic so it doesn't hit the zepperlin if moved about in a realistic working fashion.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

rycozy

kinda on this subject, do you guys use a windball inside the rycote with full windjammer on it?... I try and put the tip of the mic as close to the end cap as possible. But a friend of mine said that there is a different pressure in the rounded part and to only have the tip of th mic come to the start of the end cap.?
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

oh yah I use a cmc641, if that matters
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Major Player

personally I don't use the foam under the rycote as I think it makes my mic more likely to knock against the end of the zeppelin as the mic end would effectively become bigger. Also I think the idea is to have an air gap which the inclusion of the foam undermines. What would the foam achieve anyway? It is not drafty inside the windshield.

As to how much space one needs at the end I would say an inch is good. Again that gives you an air gap. If this gap is more than 2 inches then you are just forcing your self to be further away from the subject.

The main thing is that the mic wont knock against anything.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

K-Tek sells a small right angle XLRF. You can get some room by resoldering this one inside your blimp instead of the straight one.
It's not in their catalog, you have to ask for it.... about $16.
It's the same right angle connector that comes with some of their poles.

http://www.mklemme.com/pole/khgw.html
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Neutrik has right angle connectors, unfortunatelly they are not generally off the self stuff, special order, or not at all, depending on the shop/store/country...

They are often nicer also on camera connections, cables hang straight down not sticking to the side.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio