Need help with Wireless mic setup!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with Wireless mic setup!!

Ok here's my problem. I just got a Azden WMS PRO Wirless mic system. I have a Canon xl-2. I have hook it all up but I get little or no sound on my recordings. Batteries are good so I know it not that. I can hook a radio into the camera and get good sound from that so I know its not the camera's ability to recieve sound to the audio 1 jacks.

Azden has a mini 1/8 jack out of the reciever, so I had to get a 1/8 to 1/8 barrel adapter then hook up a 1/8 to stereo mono cabel then into the audio 1 on the camera. this does not seem to work or I just get very low sound?

As I said before I can hook up a small transister radio through a 1/8 mini out of the radio into the audio 1 port on the camera via a 1/8 to mono cable an sound is good.

Any ideas what my problem may be or is the Azden not compatable with the XL-2?
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Major Player

It sounds very much like you have selected Line level for the camera inputs instead of Mic level. The earphone jack of a transistor raadio will output a much hotter signal than a mic level.... which is why that works.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris for the reply. Please bear with me on this because I,m new to this setup and Camera, can I change the input from line level to mic level and how do I do this on the camera? through the menu on the camera? and do you think this will work.
thanks again
Old June 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Major Player

You might check in the forum for your camera on this site. I am unfamiliar with that camera but I am sure that is where you might find the selection of line vs mic. That's the case on most prosumer and pro cameras. I think that is your problem candidly and once you figure out how to select mic you will be a happy camper.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Still stuck here does anyone use the Azden wms pro with the xl-2 and how is it set up. please have patience, newbie at this and it has spun me around a bit.
I'm missing something but I can't figure it out.
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been able to get the mic to record sound and Chris was right it was a line setting on the camera. Although I can get sound I have to set the mic level all the way to max and in post set that level to max I can get sound that is just ok at best.

I will try to tweak it some more but any suggestions will help. I was wondering if I get a xlr adapter and try that if it would boost up the signal any.

Please any input is welcome
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #7
Major Player

I use this setup and it works fine. I don't know why your front input isn't working, but its probably just to do with plugging your mono WMS input into the stereo camera mic input. Instead, use one of the rear inputs on the XL2, which are mic level mono. Use either a Rode mini to XLR adapter (widely available) or just cut off the WMS mini plug and fit an XLR plug. Use the other input for your other mic. If its still not working properly, there is probably a fault in the WMS.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Problem solved, I ended up using an XLR plus as Rainer had suggested. I did a sound check and the audio level is 100% better I did not need to boost in post. Shooting a wedding this weekend so I have been saved.

I want to thank both Chris and Rainer for their input on this issue both were of great help!!

Thanks again

I love this site!
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
It sounds very much like you have selected Line level for the camera inputs instead of Mic level. The earphone jack of a transistor raadio will output a much hotter signal than a mic level.... which is why that works.
It does sound like that, but the XL2 doesn't have a line level input through the XLRs; only mic level.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio