Connecting an XLR terminated lav to a UWP-V series transmitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Connecting an XLR terminated lav to a UWP-V series transmitter

I just purchased Sony's new UWP-V642, and though it comes with the UTX-P1 XLR plug-on transmitter, I tried to rig my ECM-77B directly to the regular UTX-B2 transmitter.

It works great with the supplied lav, but when I try to use a regular XLR female to mini cable it doesn't seem to work correctly (wrong impedence?)

Is this the only cable that will help me achieve this?

http://www.trewaudio.ca/store/produc...&cat=31&page=1

I don't really understand what makes this cable different than a regular XLR-female to minijack cable. DC Voltage Blocker? Is there a cheaper solution that I could get from B&H Photo? $55 seems steep.

For anyone interested, I'm really impressed with this UWP-V642 kit. It's very well built, very sleek match w/ my V1U and works better than my experience in the past with a Sennheiser G2 system. Range impressed me a great deal with this unit also.

I haven't tried many mics with it, I've been waiting for my new AT4053a to arrive from B&H.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Fred Retread

Are you trying to use a "straight through" XLR to mini stereo cable, that is, one with each XLR contact going to a separate contact on the three-section mini stereo connector? If so, then the answer is to get a correctly wired adapter cable for about $10 at B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Male_to.html
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response.

That cable is actually the one I have already and it doesn't work. The gender and cable type is right, it just doesn't work well. Signal is very low and distorted.

I think people are saying I need to get the special product that Remote Audio makes, even though I still don't fully understand the difference.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Thanks for the response.

That cable is actually the one I have already and it doesn't work. The gender and cable type is right, it just doesn't work well. Signal is very low and distorted.

I think people are saying I need to get the special product that Remote Audio makes, even though I still don't fully understand the difference.
What is the exact connection scheme in the cable you have - what pin on the XLR (in case you didn't know, with a good light and maginfying glass the numbers are printed next to each pin) connects to the tip, ring, and sleeve? You may need to use a cheap multimeter from radio shack to be sure.

While you're at it, check the transmitter owner's manual for the connections on the mic input plug. I HOPE they're there, Sony sometimes seems to want to make their stuff user-obscure. I went looking for an online copy of the manual on their site and couldn't find a thing.

Last edited by Steve House; June 13th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh great, thanks!

I'll check into that as soon as I get home.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio