NTG-1 vs. NTG-3 vs. AT897 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

The ENG44 has been a great tool for me, with my 5D and T2i rigs. For shoots where I can swing a boom operator, double system sound has become my preference. In fact, I Velcro a simple Tascam DR-07 to it, feeding that recorder with a short miniplug from audio out of the ENG44, and I can also record to the 5D running Magic Lantern using a simple XLR adapter, in my case an old beachtech without amp, or the Juiced Link CX-231. Often, the sound in the camera is as good as what goes to the recorder, so I don't have to match it up. But if something has goofed up at the camera, I have the back up in the DR-07.
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Double Sound

Thanks Chris ... I appreciate the prompt insight! I'll be looking into the mixer alongside the mic itself. All the best,
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #18
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Paschal View Post
Guy/Scott ...

Though it's months later, I took a look at the ENG44 mixer and it looks as though it'd be a great compliment to any mic. My question is this ... would the ENG44 be a critical purchase if the Zoom H4N that I currently have has the capability of supplying phantom power - especially if I am looking right now at a single mic on camera (or on a stand)?

(I can certainly see the benefits with the second output for an operator).

Thanks!

--Brandon
The SignVideo ENG-44 will be able to amplify the signal cleaner and to higher levels than the Zoom. You'll also have a nice big knob to turn instead of clicking buttons - this gives you way more control in tough, ever changing sound level environments. The bright LED VU meters are nice too. It seems that a lot of folks go with a Sound Devices 302 if they're going to splurge. But at half the price, the ENG-44 is a great value.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio