New Rode NTG-3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
New Rode NTG-3

Looks interesting. Found this at sync.sound.cinema and followed the link to Rode.

http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NTG-3

Positioned to be a Sennheiser 416 "killer" by the looks of it.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It'll be more than that Shaun and at $US699. The 416 is $US1100.

An interesting accessory is the RODE blimp, it's price should be very competitive and I wonder what other mics it'll accommodate.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=RODE+NTG-3

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting. Rather than a lobar pattern, it's a super-cardiod. It's being positioned as a rugged outdoor mic, but it might just work well indoors too.

Could be a real winner for the "I can afford one good mic" crowd.
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Allan. Hadn't seen that thread before. Thought I was being clever... should have known better! <laughs>

Interesting discussion as always with brand preference/performance/price. I'm considering an NTG-2 for my on-camera shotgun and switching between my Sennheiser ME66 and a yet-to-be-purchased NTG-3 on the boompole.
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

John you know the RODE NTG-1 and 2, the Videomic, StereoVideomic and Senn. 416 are all super cardioid. The NTG-3 has a slightly wider front pattern than the 416.

I believe this is designed for less experienced boom ops, the extremely low noise also aiding in this area. Location RF interference is going to get worse, I was watching the US PGA golf yesterday with loud RF 'bips' appearing every 10-15mins. The NTG-3 has better RF rejection than ever before.

An area that interests me is the NTG-3 low end 'cause there's no low cut filter. The frequency response rolls off to -6db at 40hz, what happens after that is not graphed. IMO you may need to have an additional sharper low cut filter at maybe 80, available when you need it in the location rig.

So we're looking at a potentially great pro sounding shotgun at a price also suitable for new movie makers and prosumers, a market I think will prove greater than the pro market if it isn't already. I say that 'cause IMO most pros already have their favourite shotguns, know how to use them properly, get great results and are loath to try others out...unless a radical new sound/price appears.

Shaun, I wouldn't buy anything till you check out the NTG-3, my guess is it's a big improvement over the ME66.

Cheers.
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Rode NTG-3

I'm very interested in this mic. Anyone know when it will be generally available?

Edit: Ok, I've found a UK supplier that claims to have 3 in stock. Anyone got one and care to comment how they find it?

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 30th, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: found supplier
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Andy, NTG-3 serial 000242 arrived here 3 hours ago.

First impressions. The waterproof black container cylinder is thicker than I expected, 31mm and 35mm at the end caps. It'll open at both ends and has internal padding for shock absorption. The mic is about the weight I expected 163g, and and looks plain and sleek without a filter or on/off switch.

That's not a proprietary 3 pin audio socket I recognise, RODE I believe have designed their own for this mic to help keep RF interference out altogether.

I notice both the body flutes are long, almost to the tip of the mic. The accessories include a stand mount (not shock) a threaded adaptor, a manual, a pouch and a windshield. I like to keep windshields fitted to my mics all the time to keep dust out, but I'll have to remove this one to store the mic in its cylinder. Then allow space in the Pelican 1510 for the shield. Seeeee I resisted cutting the foam before I got the mic, taken me about 20years to learn that.

I'll be using this NTG-3 with a Canon A1 and I'll need some padding around the mic to fit it to the A1s external holder. Trying it out, the mic with its windshield extends 3 1/2 inches out ahead of the A1s lens hood. Plenty of clearance there.

Also need the worlds shortest XLR cable from mic to A1, about 6inches. TBC.

Nowhere in the manual does it say always connect the mic first before turning on the 48V and the reverse when finished for the session...guess it doesn't matter, but I always do that anyway.

I've got a RYCOTE 3 blimp system, so I'll try that out, if not the RODE system will be on the list. Also going to need a shock system for boom work.

I know the guys at RODE and the lights have been burning long into the nights for this one. The whole rig has a good feel about it and I can't wait to hear the results.

Cheers guys.
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the update Allan - great info. We all look forward to reading how it sounds when you've had a chance to test this new baby!

Edit: So it does not come with the short XLR cable then (I don't see one in the pic on the Rode website). Correct?

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 1st, 2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: another question!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Nope no cable. I don't think any shotguns come with cables, everyone wants a different length. This short one I need will have to be made up, probably with 2 right angle Neutrik plugs to keep the cable out of the way.

The manual says 'we strongly suggest the use of high quality XLR cables, using the shortest length possible to ensure minimal noise interference between the microphone output and the camera/recorder input.'

So the low mic noise and RF rejection are big features and out on location it's easy to grab a longer cable than you might need in case you do end up needing it saving some time. And runs of 50-60 feet from the boom to the recorder are not uncommon.

Rode want the sound quality that comes out the back of the NTG-3 to be heard by the clients, me too :)

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; July 1st, 2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Neutrik
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks for the confirmation. Have fun and let us know how it sounds soon.

Jigsaw24 (DVinfo's new UK sponser) have just told me thay have 5 on order and I should know by tomorrow an approx. ETA for this mic.
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Is an on-board power option available for the NTG-2/3 or are they phantom power only?

Thanks
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Is an on-board power option available for the NTG-2/3 or are they phantom power only?

Thanks
NTG-2 has option of AA battery power (NTG-1 hasn't)
NTG-3 is phantom only
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I'm considering an NTG-2 for my on-camera shotgun and switching between my Sennheiser ME66 and a yet-to-be-purchased NTG-3 on the boompole.
If you do, then we'll have to call you Shaun RODEMIC instead!

:-)

Please forgive the jest with your name - no offence intended.

And no, I don't have a farm.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Colin: I nearly busted a gut (which is somewhat ample this time of year)!

No offense taken. That's refreshing. Thanks for making my day!
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I'm very interested in this mic. Anyone know when it will be generally available?

Edit: Ok, I've found a UK supplier that claims to have 3 in stock. Anyone got one and care to comment how they find it?
Over here B&H is about to launch several kits with the NT3. Looks like a copy of my "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" will be in one kit.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio