Mixing audio: best levels? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Mixing audio: best levels?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum...

First, I read the ten commandments, and I have to tell ya'll that I feel like such a noobie! :D

With that said, I am a one-man crew and capture XLR audio straight into my camera.

My question: When balancing audio levels (using NLE like FCP) for final output, in general, what is the best average DB range for things like interviews and general (not so loud) ambient noises?

I am finding that when I output my final video, and when compared to my peers (who do not really worry about audio levels -- this is for web video), my audio is much lower and harder to hear on some computer/speaker systems... On the other hand, I think my audio sounds pretty good on my high-end workstation with decent speakers (whereas, it seems like the other videos are much too loud.)

When making my final NLE mix (i.e. FCP), should average sound level peak just into the red while not distorting or overloading?

What is general rule-of-thumb for final output audio levels?

Many many many thanks for any help you folks could throw my way. :)

Cheers,
Micky
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Micky,

It really depends on your target. If you're mixing for a dramatic DVD, peak the voices at about -12 dBFS, and leave the rest for dynamic events, like gunshots, door slams or whatever. If you really want punch, peak the dialog at -18 dBFS and hope the audience turns up the volume.

For TV broadcast, they will run your movie through a compressor, so it will be much hotter, but with lower peaks.

Personally, I treat web video like car radio - I do the original mix for dynamics (-12 dBFS), but I cook it in a mastering pass for maximum loudness (like a pop/rock CD.) If the web audience can't hear the audio, you risk them clicking away.

I use the izotope mastering tools that ship with SoundForge 9.
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I normally process audio in post, lately with FCP. The audio tools are a bit crude in FCP, but I've figured out how to work around them.

For example, here's two headworn Countryman e6 mics and an AEA R84 ribbon mic on the guitar amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFHwXWHpcA

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks folks! Great info. :)

Nice clip Ty! Sweet audio...

Thanks!!!

Have a great day,
Cheers,
Micky

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio