DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Canon XH-A1 XLR Inputs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/125496-canon-xh-a1-xlr-inputs.html)

Sean Malone July 7th, 2008 05:05 PM

Canon XH-A1 XLR Inputs

We have one of those cheep PA systems at work that we use for our all staff meetings. I typically use the shotgun mic to record the meeting, but really need to do a line in off the PA. This is new ground for me so I want to make sure I don’t blow something up. Especially the circuitry in the camera. The only two outputs on the PA (other then the 100w speaker connections) are an “Instrument out – RCA left and right” and the headphone jack. If I convert ether to XLR and run 50’ (using 2 XLR cables) would I damage anything if I turn 48v phantom power on? Or would I even need phantom power?

Thought I’d ask before I damage a $4,000 camera with a $300 PA system.

Thanks,

Sean

Ben Moore July 7th, 2008 05:32 PM

RCA is "line" level. As long as your cam has a mic/line switch and you set it to "line" it should be ok. Do not turn on Phantom Power. Also 50 ft is a long run for line level. I would suggest using as direct box to convert the line level to mic level and most likely you would then have a balanced run, which would help reduce noise. Some direct boxes also have attenuators on them which get the signal to a nice level for your cam.

Sean McCormick July 7th, 2008 10:29 PM

The Rolls Matchbox DB25 is an inexpensive and reliable solution.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...irect_Box.html

Ty Ford July 8th, 2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Moore (Post 904263)
RCA is "line" level. As long as your cam has a mic/line switch and you set it to "line" it should be ok. Do not turn on Phantom Power. Also 50 ft is a long run for line level. I would suggest using as direct box to convert the line level to mic level and most likely you would then have a balanced run, which would help reduce noise. Some direct boxes also have attenuators on them which get the signal to a nice level for your cam.

With all due respect Ben, there are two line levels, consumer (-10dB) and professional (0dB or +4dB). RCA jacks normally indicate consumer line level.

50 feet is fine for a balanced mic or line run. Unfortunately, RCA jacks are unbalanced, and not as strong, so unbalanced line level doesn't go as far.

The particular issue here is that the OP says it's an instrument level output. Instrument level is usually lower than consumer line level, but higher than dynamic mic level.

Phantom Power is ONLY used for condenser mics that require Phantom Power. You don't need that here.

The first thing I'd try is a direct box that converts an instrument level unbalanced input into a balanced XLR output. Use just left or right, not both, to the direct box. Then run the 50 feet of XLR cable and try the mic level input on your camera. Try Guitar Center for the direct box and a male RCA to male TRS cable to get from the mixer to the direct box.

I must say, I'm curious about a PA that offers a stereo instrument output. You might want to refer to the manual to see what it says about its use.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve House July 8th, 2008 07:03 AM

I'm with you, Ty. I'd expect those RCAs to be an input for a guitar, turntable, receiver, something like that, rather than an output.

Sean Malone July 8th, 2008 09:03 AM

Thanks for jumping in on this guys.

For clarity, the PA is a B-52 Professional MATRIX-200. The manual explains the following regarding the “Instrument RCA connection-Record” – “RCA jacks to connect stereo recording device to MATRIX-200. This record output is unaffected by the Master volume control”. We have a Guitar Center close by. I’ll see what kind of direct boxes they have. Sounds like an attenuator would be beneficial.

Ty Ford July 8th, 2008 09:58 AM

OK, then it's probably a -10 output. Unless your doing a lot of stereo panning, you can take one of those RCA outputs to a direct box.

Or, get a Y-cable that combines the two RCA outputs to one 1/4" TS male plug (not a stereo TRS male plug).

Regards,

Ty Ford

Sean Malone July 8th, 2008 03:29 PM

Thanks Ty and everyone else. I have a Direct Box in hand and will give it a try. I’ll report back if there are any issues.

Thanks again…..

Sean Malone July 15th, 2008 11:04 AM

As an update….everything worked out and sounds great. Thanks for all the help.

Sean

David Ennis July 15th, 2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 904536)
OK, then it's probably a -10 output. Unless your doing a lot of stereo panning, you can take one of those RCA outputs to a direct box.

Or, get a Y-cable that combines the two RCA outputs to one 1/4" TS male plug (not a stereo TRS male plug).

FWIW, another option. I routinely connect two RCA to TS cables to the RCA stereo outs and combine the signals at the two TS inputs to the direct box.

Kiflom Bahta July 16th, 2008 06:16 AM

Hey guys, What's wrong with using left and right at the same time to the DI box?

Steve House July 16th, 2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta (Post 908049)
Hey guys, What's wrong with using left and right at the same time to the DI box?

Nothing, if you have a stereo DI box. While such things exist, many, if not most, are single channel devices.

David Ennis July 16th, 2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta (Post 908049)

Nothing, if you don't mind having the left and right channels combined at the output of the DI box

Kiflom Bahta July 17th, 2008 12:17 AM

Cool, i always use both with a pad.