Canon XH-A1 XLR Inputs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH-A1 XLR Inputs

We have one of those cheep PA systems at work that we use for our all staff meetings. I typically use the shotgun mic to record the meeting, but really need to do a line in off the PA. This is new ground for me so I want to make sure I don’t blow something up. Especially the circuitry in the camera. The only two outputs on the PA (other then the 100w speaker connections) are an “Instrument out – RCA left and right” and the headphone jack. If I convert ether to XLR and run 50’ (using 2 XLR cables) would I damage anything if I turn 48v phantom power on? Or would I even need phantom power?

Thought I’d ask before I damage a $4,000 camera with a $300 PA system.

Thanks,

Sean
Sean Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

RCA is "line" level. As long as your cam has a mic/line switch and you set it to "line" it should be ok. Do not turn on Phantom Power. Also 50 ft is a long run for line level. I would suggest using as direct box to convert the line level to mic level and most likely you would then have a balanced run, which would help reduce noise. Some direct boxes also have attenuators on them which get the signal to a nice level for your cam.
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Rolls Matchbox DB25 is an inexpensive and reliable solution.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...irect_Box.html
Sean McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
RCA is "line" level. As long as your cam has a mic/line switch and you set it to "line" it should be ok. Do not turn on Phantom Power. Also 50 ft is a long run for line level. I would suggest using as direct box to convert the line level to mic level and most likely you would then have a balanced run, which would help reduce noise. Some direct boxes also have attenuators on them which get the signal to a nice level for your cam.
With all due respect Ben, there are two line levels, consumer (-10dB) and professional (0dB or +4dB). RCA jacks normally indicate consumer line level.

50 feet is fine for a balanced mic or line run. Unfortunately, RCA jacks are unbalanced, and not as strong, so unbalanced line level doesn't go as far.

The particular issue here is that the OP says it's an instrument level output. Instrument level is usually lower than consumer line level, but higher than dynamic mic level.

Phantom Power is ONLY used for condenser mics that require Phantom Power. You don't need that here.

The first thing I'd try is a direct box that converts an instrument level unbalanced input into a balanced XLR output. Use just left or right, not both, to the direct box. Then run the 50 feet of XLR cable and try the mic level input on your camera. Try Guitar Center for the direct box and a male RCA to male TRS cable to get from the mixer to the direct box.

I must say, I'm curious about a PA that offers a stereo instrument output. You might want to refer to the manual to see what it says about its use.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm with you, Ty. I'd expect those RCAs to be an input for a guitar, turntable, receiver, something like that, rather than an output.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for jumping in on this guys.

For clarity, the PA is a B-52 Professional MATRIX-200. The manual explains the following regarding the “Instrument RCA connection-Record” – “RCA jacks to connect stereo recording device to MATRIX-200. This record output is unaffected by the Master volume control”. We have a Guitar Center close by. I’ll see what kind of direct boxes they have. Sounds like an attenuator would be beneficial.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

OK, then it's probably a -10 output. Unless your doing a lot of stereo panning, you can take one of those RCA outputs to a direct box.

Or, get a Y-cable that combines the two RCA outputs to one 1/4" TS male plug (not a stereo TRS male plug).

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Ty and everyone else. I have a Direct Box in hand and will give it a try. I’ll report back if there are any issues.

Thanks again…..
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

As an update….everything worked out and sounds great. Thanks for all the help.

Sean
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
OK, then it's probably a -10 output. Unless your doing a lot of stereo panning, you can take one of those RCA outputs to a direct box.

Or, get a Y-cable that combines the two RCA outputs to one 1/4" TS male plug (not a stereo TRS male plug).
FWIW, another option. I routinely connect two RCA to TS cables to the RCA stereo outs and combine the signals at the two TS inputs to the direct box.
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #11
Major Player

Hey guys, What's wrong with using left and right at the same time to the DI box?
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
Hey guys, What's wrong with using left and right at the same time to the DI box?
Nothing, if you have a stereo DI box. While such things exist, many, if not most, are single channel devices.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
Nothing, if you don't mind having the left and right channels combined at the output of the DI box
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #14
Major Player

Cool, i always use both with a pad.
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio