wireless / outdoor / fishing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Catt View Post

I second the line of thinking that you're underestimating the post-production requirements. Shooting is the easy part. Post-production (editing, sound, graphics, etc) is a GRIND. You're going to need a fairly horse-powered computer system with lots of memory, several external hard drives to store footage on, plus the software to edit your footage with. My rough guess is you're going to spend about $2K-$3K for the system complete.
I have a Vista box with 2 gig ram and the following dual core processor setup: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4600+ 2.4 GHz. I will have to purchase another two gigs of ram for sure. I am also purchasing a 1.5tb external Maxtor for dumping video.

I dl'd a trial copy of Vegas from Sony and did some editing with it. I haven't tried HD or even DV yet because I don't have any footage to work with, so I was only using clips that came off two different dig cams (640 x 480 clips).

Considering the above I'll need to spend $575 to upgrage my system for editing:

• Sony Vegas Pro 8 (CD only) $130
• Maxtor 1.5TB external Firewire / USB 2 $400
• Memory (Fry's, Patriot 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200, 2 gig (2 1 gig chips) $45

Hopefully that will get me up to HD quality. If not, I'll convert down to DV for DVD anyway, but I'll still have a useful camera for when I can upgrade my edit box and/or when more consumers need/demand HD.
Dave Speer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #17
New Boot

BTw two things;

1) Thank you, all of you, for all the incredible help you've given so far. I mean it. I have new, useful information.

2) Do we really need two cameras? Well I think we do. One tight one medium or wide at all times because again, we can't just re-take everything, we have to play with mother nature. But a second reason is that this gives my buddy and I independence from each other should working together become a problem, and, we are actually going to be working on multiple projects, and potentially, simultaneously. Each having a camera will allow us to do solo shoots for background / fish only / angler only footage without being geographically tied to each other (over 1.5 hr round trip to drive to buddy's house to borrow the camera for the night, kills opportunity).
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Speer View Post

• Sony Vegas Pro 8 (CD only) $130
• Maxtor 1.5TB external Firewire / USB 2 $400
• Memory (Fry's, Patriot 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200, 2 gig (2 1 gig chips) $45

Hopefully that will get me up to HD quality. If not, I'll convert down to DV for DVD anyway, but I'll still have a useful camera for when I can upgrade my edit box and/or when more consumers need/demand HD.
Where are you finding Vegas for $130??
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Where are you finding Vegas for $130??

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_8_Video.html

Seriously, am I gonna have to show you guys everything? :D :D
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #20
Regular Crew

You should just ditch the camera's and do a fishing radio show! That would be dope..
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #21
Major Player

And best of all...if you insert a whole bunch of foley splashing into the radio show, and rhapsodize about the 12 pound hawg largemouth you just landed...who can argue?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Re: wireless / outdoor / fishing

ME4 mics... I see that this is a very old thread.. but just in case someone reads this and is doing outdoor related shoots for fishing or hunting... get the ME4 mics... the ME2 are omni directional.. and will have horrible wind noise.

Use the ME 4 with the senheisers
Use a lanyard instead of the mic clips, or duct tape.
put the mic inside a small peice of ulubricated condom and cinch down behind it with a small zip tie.. makes them water proof and reduces a tiny bit on wind noise.
put a small square of tyvec or goretex fabric in front of the mic (cuts wind from hitting mic)
duct tape mic to inside of shirt in middle of pectorals
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:05 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin Strickland View Post
ME4 mics... I see that this is a very old thread.. but just in case someone reads this and is doing outdoor related shoots for fishing or hunting... get the ME4 mics... the ME2 are omni directional.. and will have horrible wind noise.

Use the ME 4 with the senheisers
Use a lanyard instead of the mic clips, or duct tape.
put the mic inside a small peice of ulubricated condom and cinch down behind it with a small zip tie.. makes them water proof and reduces a tiny bit on wind noise.
put a small square of tyvec or goretex fabric in front of the mic (cuts wind from hitting mic)
duct tape mic to inside of shirt in middle of pectorals
Actually you normally get less wind noise with an omni.

Putting a directional mic. in a condom will seriously degrade its directional characteristics - this works best with an omni mic.

Many modern omnis are pretty immune to water splashes - so I would use an omni mic. and Rycote undercovers / overcovers or a furrie if the wind is bad.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM   #24
Major Player

Should I be worried that I see I made two comments in this old thread, and yet, can't recall having typed up either one?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Should I be worried that I see I made two comments in this old thread, and yet, can't recall having typed up either one?
No - I have done that in old long threads.

But I did have to correct the slightly dodgy info given on the resurrection of the thread.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio