Bare mic vs. Foam + Deadcat vs. Rycote Softie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bare mic vs. Foam + Deadcat vs. Rycote Softie

I'm creating this thread because I was reading some other threads here on the Audio part of this forum and felt like putting my wind protection devices to a test.

It wasn't windy outside, so I thought about turning my fan on. I'm not sure if this is a acceptable test scenario. But hey, It's wind and these things should protect against it, so I did it.

- I first tested my AT897 naked, not even with foam on it, just for comparative purposes.
- Then I put the foam + a dead cat.
- And then the Softie.

My conclusion is that if you're in a strict budget the Deadcat can save you. I could perceive the Softie providing a cleaner sound, with less distortion caused by wind, well you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure MP3s would be the best way to hear that, and this wasn't recorded on a fancy recorder with good preamps. I only have my Sony FX7 and my new Juicedlink is on its way, so, that's as good as it gets.

Notice that the test is only happening when you can hear the fan noise at its loudest.

I'm attaching the mp3s in a zip since the forum won't take the mp3s separately.

Ah, and I have something to ask. This tip is from the Rycote site:
Quote:
Softies are very efficient at reducing wind-noise. If the reduction is less than you would expect try this quick check. Fit the Softie (making sure you cover all the capsule slots), power the microphone and listen to it through headphones. Now blow gently over the length of its body. You may find that holes for switches and indicators - even the XLR connector - let wind inside the microphone. If so use foam or tape to cover these leaks.
http://www.rycote.com/products/softi...ie_windshield/

In the final moments of the Softie mp3 you can hear some wind noise coming and going.
That was me with the mic parallel to the fan. Some wind was entering the Sofite through its own hole, and when I put my hand and covered it, the noise was gone.

What do you guys usually use to seal the Softies?
Attached Thumbnails
Bare mic vs. Foam + Deadcat vs. Rycote Softie-p1000960.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipped_mp3s.zip (1.34 MB, 167 views)
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Pietro,

Thank you for the interesting post. I can't listen to the MP3s right now, that will have to wait until later.

My NTG-2 (and my Beyer MCE72) are a very tight fit in their Softies and there is no gap at all. There's three different sizes of hole for each version of each Softie - could it be that your Softie hole diameter is too big for the AT mic?

I will try a similar test later today and see what happens for me.
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Trustee

OK, I've spent some time blowing on my mic. The things I do for a hobby!

I've discovered what you mentioned, Pietro - that there is wind noise coming through the back of the mic itself! If I blow on the back of the mic (XLR connection) it makes for bad wind noise.

But the worst was when I blew at the base of the Softie. I thought it was the Softie itself, but it turns out that it was the High pass filter switch on the NTG-2. If I cover that with my finger and blow, then the noise is considerably reduced.

So next time I'm out in the wind, I'll wrap up the holes in the mic with some kind of foam. What a great tip, I'd never have thought of that!
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ditto.

Makes me wonder now if I've been a bit unfair on the deadcat. On the other hand, using some insulation tape made virtually no difference, I could still hear the sound unless I put a finger over it. So I think I might get the Rycote S series after all.

Thanks for the revelation!
Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
OK, I've spent some time blowing on my mic. The things I do for a hobby!

I've discovered what you mentioned, Pietro - that there is wind noise coming through the back of the mic itself! If I blow on the back of the mic (XLR connection) it makes for bad wind noise.

But the worst was when I blew at the base of the Softie. I thought it was the Softie itself, but it turns out that it was the High pass filter switch on the NTG-2. If I cover that with my finger and blow, then the noise is considerably reduced.

So next time I'm out in the wind, I'll wrap up the holes in the mic with some kind of foam. What a great tip, I'd never have thought of that!
My Softie is quite a tight fit.
But still needs that tape to seal.

What kinda tape should I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bambridge View Post
Ditto.

Makes me wonder now if I've been a bit unfair on the deadcat. On the other hand, using some insulation tape made virtually no difference, I could still hear the sound unless I put a finger over it. So I think I might get the Rycote S series after all.

Thanks for the revelation!
Ditto about what Phil?
Insulation tape where? Finger?

I'm sorry but You really got me lost there, hehe.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio