How to salvage this audio file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Major Player

How to salvage this audio file

Ok, I'm an idiot.. I recorded a live performance but I I placed the microphone in the vicinity of a bunch of extension cords.. the resulting recording has this constant electric buzz in it..

Here's a pic of the waveform..

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8...ionoisefi1.jpg

The spikes at the top and bottom is the noise.. How can I remove the noise in this file? I'm using Audacity as my audio editor? I wish it was intuitive as dragging all of those points towards 0 db!

Thanks
Yang
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try a noise reduction program. Some software companies include, Bias, Sony, Isotope, Cedar, Waves, ect.
Some are costly. Bias Soundsoap used to have a demo that allowed saving w/o demo beeps. The pro ver. of Sound Forge now comes bungled with NR-2. Adobe Audition also has some kind or NR process, as does Wavelab, and other pro editing/mastering app.s. Check out some demos .
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #3
New Boot

DC7 from www.enhancedaudio.com has excellent tools for this exact task. The buzz is composed entirely of harmonics of the 60-Hz (or perhaps 50-Hz depending on where you are) powerline frequency. DC7 (that's the current version; I've used DC6 for years) handles this amazingly well. I've been their happy customer since at least 1990, through several generations of their software, and it gets better all the time. Probably there are other products that do as well, but DC (Diamond Cut) is the only one I'm really familiar with.
Carl Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio