Plugin to Remove Hum/Hiss/Camera Noise? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Plugin to Remove Hum/Hiss/Camera Noise?

I've been working with audio poorly recorded to HDV tape. Most annoying is a very large level difference between the two people speaking, one is recorded hot and the other way too soft.

I've been adjusting the audio in post, but there is a price to pay for increasing gain on soft voice, noise increases as well. So while the voice itself now sounds reasonably fine, hum/hiss/camera noise become much more noticeable.

Are there any plugins or post production techinques you can recommend to eliminate or cut down some of this noise? Use mostly Avid but also have Vegas.

Re-recording is not an option.

Thanks very much!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Depending on the bundle originally purchased, you may have a filter available in Vegas called "Sony Noise Reduction 2.0". There are other NR filters, Sony's isn't bad.

NR works by you designating a sample as noise, then the filter takes that part out of the signal. It's easy to go much too far, and broad spectrum noise such as hiss is particularly difficult. NR filters usually don't offer perfection, but used lightly can improve things quite a bit. If you go this route, stacking multiple NR filters and taking very small noise samples is usually better than taking a bigger sample with one NR filter.

If you don't have Sony Noise Reduction, there are a lot of others out there. First, I believe it is frequently bundled with Sony Sound Forge. It is available stand-alone. Waves has a very good filter. Sound Soap. There is a basic NR filter bundled with the freeware Audacity.

Sorry I don't know anything about what comes with AVID.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:13 AM   #3

Peter...

we gotta quit meeting this way!!
Anyway, I've found Izotope's RX to be VERY VERY good at noise reduction. Your problem is the bane of editors who have footage from inexperienced sound engineers and actors. The only thing worse is a director who insists on shouting directions to the actors while the recorder is running.

On a more lighthearted note, ADR fixes everything...LOL
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I second Izotope RX, we have several restoration tools on hand but RX is the best of the bunch. In addition, slip some room tone (or even a bit of the noise from the other voice if you can get a clean loop) under the louder voice to compensate for the noise increase on the softer voice. John.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you need an efficient tool not breaking the bank, the Isotope is hard to beat.

Also worth noting that a lot of audio post software has some form of noise reduction thingamabob incorporated. (e.g. Soundtrack Pro from Apple, Soundbooth from Adobe...)

Personally, I use Sonic NoNoise TDM, a plugin for ProTools HD TDM. Great results, but a bit pricey.

The king of the castle I feel is still Cedar. But the pricetag is king too :P

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio