sound device 702 with EV RE27mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Major Player

sound device 702 with EV RE27mic

Quick setting question on Sound device 702. I have connected the EV RE27 mic without Phantom power and made some VO recordings and man it seems like you really have to turn the front gain dials up to get the right levels(all the way). Wondering if the mic really needs that much juice to record or if I have a setting wrong in the sound device. Could be all types of things I know but if you have a suggestion please let me know. THX
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The RE27 gets great reviews. It's 6dB up on the RE20.

Check everything including the level going into it, set the 3 filters to flat. Problem with your cable? Is the 702 set to dynamic mic? Run it alongside another dynamic.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey View Post
Quick setting question on Sound device 702. I have connected the EV RE27 mic without Phantom power and made some VO recordings and man it seems like you really have to turn the front gain dials up to get the right levels(all the way). Wondering if the mic really needs that much juice to record or if I have a setting wrong in the sound device. Could be all types of things I know but if you have a suggestion please let me know. THX

The RE-27 is a dynamic mic and as a class dynamics send much lower output levels than typical condensor mics. Make sure the mic gain range in the setup menu is set to 'normal' - that gives you the maximum range. You can still expect to have to turn up the pots much higher with a dynamic than you would with a typical condensor mic.
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Major Player

thank you both, I had the gain set to low and moved it to normal, definitly a small change but a change never the less. I am wondering if I would get less ambient sound with a condensor than the dynamic mic. When you turn the pots up man does it increase the surrounding noises with this dynamic mic. Thanks again.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio